Yellowstone Lake / Teton Aquatic Supply

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going up to Yellowstone again this summer for my annual wildlife trip. Lamar Valley wolf observation. Woo hoo!

I was wondering. Yellowstone lake is supposed to have some pretty interesting scenery that you can't see anywhere else. Some sort of geothermal smokestacks and other interesting things along that line.

Has anyone done any diving here? I'm having a hard time finding condition information besides elevation, and it appears there is only one company that even supplies divers. Teton Aquatic Supply is 100 miles away in Jackson, WY.

Is this something one can fit into a normal vacation, or is it more on the level of an expedition because of it's remote locale?

I don't have any info for you but when are you going? My husband mentioned diving there when we go on vacation in August.

Have you ever hiked up Specimen Ridge near the Lamar Valley? It's about 1.5 miles to the top from the road, there's a bunch of Eocene petrified wood up there.
Ber :lilbunny:

My wife and I are hitting Yellowstone in the beginning of July. We stay in Lamar Valley with the Yellowstone Institute, and they guide us on various observations.

If I can find out anything about the lake and diving, I'll let you know. At this point, it looks like the kind of situation where you are on your own, but I haven't given up yet.

There is a dome building in the bed of Yellowston Lake that is now almost 1,000 feet across.

The National Park Service couldn't understand why the water level was rising at a constant rate even when historically it should be level or drop. Studies (last summer 2003) showed that the dome was building up.

Enjoy Yellowstone now - in a few hundred years - KLABLAMMMMM

Hmmm, it is about time for another rhyolite flow in that area. Very interesting DD, very interesting!
Ber

If I do get to dive there, I sure hope nothing lets go while I'm in the water.

I really don't want to know what a lobster feels like in it's last moments...

Did you happen to run across this website while you were searching? Yellowstone Lake

Didn't you see the movie "Volcano?" Those two people in the hot spring when the magma boiled up--EEEEOUCH! I don't know about you but when birds take off suddenly and I'm in a natural hot spring I'm getting OUT! Geez that was creepy.
Ber

You can dive yellowstone lake by getting a hold of me. My number is 307) 527-6165. We have a dive club that dives the lake. Pretty cool, need a drysuit or a 7 mil. Take it easy, Mark Garrison

Mark, When it the typical season for diving at Yellowstone lake? I expect it is dictated primarily by the roads being open?

Mike,

The roads to the lake are generally open the three seasons you'd be up there. Though if you were into ice diving, and had a snowmobile, you could theoretically dive it in the winter.

This is just information I've recieved from talking to park rangers up there. I don't think the lakeside road closes all that often in the winter, but I'm usually up there in the spring/fall and can't really say for sure.

Back
Top Bottom