Yellow Stars - Valuable or worthless?

Star rating system, how valuable is it to you?

• Valuable

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Worthless

Votes: 25 75.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As each person on Scubaboard have their own need, and own skill level, the little yellow star system has little correlation to the value of a thread. And it seems like only 1 or 2 person voted most of the time, thus I find it a useless option on this forum.
I find that a few of the one star forum (worse) are more valuable to me than some of the higher ranked forums (three to 5 stars).

How do you feel about the stars?

Finally a poll! I think the stars are fine... people either learn to use them or ignore them. I don't think they are accurate as a thread rating system, but they do let you know a few things about the content. :wink:

Seriously, I think the little poll indicator draws me to a thread more than the star status :)

I choose to read a thread based on the title and since the rating is so seldom used, I don't really pay any attention to them before checking out a thread.

I feel there is no value to the rating system. I do like the fact that there are little tiny stars - but what do they really mean?

I've seen other forums where there are reputation greens/reds are given out. IMO the greens mean nothing with regards to actual expertise, or statement value. In a truly egalitarian forum the need to rate a person would not, should not exist. Case in point is Rebreatherworld. On this forum it's more a passive indicator of participation.

X

I think the thread rating system is much less important than posting to the appropriate forum :p

One star should be changed from "terrible" to "IDIOTIC"

I totally ignore the stars.
do it easy:
Finally a poll! I think the stars are fine... people either learn to use them or ignore them. I don't think they are accurate as a thread rating system, but they do let you know a few things about the content. :wink:

Seriously, I think the little poll indicator draws me to a thread more than the star status :)
Is it time for a poll on the usefulness of polls? How long has it been?
Tom Winters:
Poster ratings - now there's an idea.
That was tried when we went V-bulletin, briefly. Didn't take long to reject it.
rakkis:
I think the thread rating system is much less important than posting to the appropriate forum :p
Hip, hip - Hooray!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom