Ye old pig sticker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just got a package in the mail from a very good friend and dive buddy who lives in Socal. It came USPS and it was something semi heavy and hard in a soft tear proof large envelope. I had no idea what it was as this was a complete surprise.
I cut the envelope open and low and behold it's an old Aqua Lung dive knife, a HUGE one. It's exactly what I've been searching for for months now. It's a big 'ol Sea Hawk with an orange handle and a blade about 7.5" long. The thing is huge.
I wanted something like this for scallops.
I'm guessing it's from somewhere in the sixties or maybe early seventies?

My buddy was clearing out his garage and came across it. He forgot he even had it. He found it at a garage sale years ago for a couple bucks and bought it.
He went the DIR route so he had no use for it.
He has since come back to earth and got off the kool-Aid and just loves to do regular dives. A survivor of the overpowering pull of the black hole.

I've got the best friends in the world!!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 423
So just where do you plan to strap that monstrosity? On the outside of your leg? LOL

Right about where you have your can light on your waist strap, maybe just a touch forward. The difference is I won't be having any long hose wrapped underneath it.

I gave a knife like that to my son 4 or 5 years ago......was a SeaHawk, blade stamped Soligen Germany....really nice piece of hardware........this is based on a funny experience he had in the Gulf of Mexico at the flower gardens, the second time he went in the winter/spring of 06.......

He always had a thing about Sharks, wore shark t-shirts, his email address had to do with something about sharks, even has a 2 foot rubber shark he keeps over his tv in his apartment....one girlfriend made his birthday cake look like a shark....well, he came face to face with a Tiger Shark on one of his dives in the Gulf,,,,,,said the thing just swam out of the gloom like in a movie........heading straight for him, easy like.......his dive buddy was below him at his feet busy photographing something and did not see what was coming.........the thing "Smiled at him, showing it's teeth" and then turned to the right and swam off the reef back into the gloom ..........

David, my son's name, realized he had pulled his little fishing line cutter type toy knife, most divers carry now days, and he said he knew he needed a bigger knife (not that it would do him any good with a 15' Tiger)........he was cussing and shaking for about an hour back on the boat.....

So, I found this SeaHawk on ebay, bought it.......cleaned it up and gave it to him for his birthday...........I told him this will not save him but it (like a bigger gun vs a small gun against a bear) will make him feel better...........

He still holds a fascination for sharks to this day........but with a lot more respect........

He and I both wear our 7.5" blades on the inside calf of the right leg...........

Last edited:
I've been using the Harbor Freight survival knives. They're $9, have an 8" blade, are all stainless and aluminum and surprisingly they take a good edge.

The problem with them is the sheath. It's junk. What I do is take 1" schedule 40 PVC pipe, cut a length about 13" long and make a sheath out of it by heating it in the oven and shaping it to fit. It makes for a very good diving sheath. A little hard to describe how I do it here, but I'll try to post some pics later. The sheaths end up costing about 30 cents each, so what I do was make up 6 of them and then kept the 3 that turned out the best. I have them attached to each harness. I have 2 of these knives, so if one gets lost I can just replace it for the next dive.

That's the knife, and considering the price, it's surprisingly good. I use a Chef's Choice sharpener and I can put a shaving edge on those knives.

I'm a little dubious about the hilt, and I'm not sure it would hold up to any serious tree chopping, like you might expect of a survival knife, but I don't anticipate doing any of that under water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom