Yap....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_Bella_

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm considering a trip to Yap sometime in the next couple of years and would like some recommendations or ideas about where to stay, who to dive with, when to go, etc...etc...

Suprisingly, when I did a search on SB for Yap I didn't find one single post. Is the search broken or ... ?

COme in February (full moon) for the best manta action you will ever see.

And of course stay with us. Website is in my signature there

I have a guide on my website. Werner Lau centre is new there and helped with information and images. They are a very professional dive company.

The report is here.

There are two galleries here and here.

One thing is for certain...the lack of posts may be because it is:

a. an exotic (and expensive destination) and
b. not the easiest place in the world to get to.

Hope this helps!

Absolutely amazing photography. I cant wait to get there before I die.

yes, it does seem to be a PITA to get to but doesn't seem to be any worse than say the Solomon Islands.

Mike, how many dives are done per day at MRBH? I can't seem to find that on the site. Oh, and is there E6 at the photo center?

Scan for Trip Reports from Yap. Both I and ChrisM went in early '04 (separately, so there are multiple trip reports). The other thing is if you are going that far, head over to Palau for a second week. The incremental cost pales in comparison to the diving. Everyone we talked to in Palau was spending a week in either Yap or Chuuk. The mantas in Yap are incredible, the overall diving in Palau is even better.

I think you can't search on Yap because search doesn't recognize 3 letter words. (I thought there was a list where useful 3-letter words could be added to to allow search but if so you'd think Yap would be on it by now ...)

We liked Yap alot, except for the horrible airport and flight schedules. We stayed/dove at Manta Ray Bay hotel. I would be happy to stay there again, though Traders Ridge looked very nice when we checked it out and I might consider it next time. TR's dive op had just opened when we were there in Feb and I haven't heard anything about it, nor do they have much useful info on their web site. Manta Ray Bay is on the water (harbor not beach), boats are right there, more of a divers hotel. It was a mess due to construction when we were there but should be nice when they get it all sorted out. TR is more luxurious. It's up on a hill a bit and the dive shop is down the hill at their beach area so not quite as convienient for that - and it doesn't have Mike :wink:

Damselfish:
I think you can't search on Yap because search doesn't recognize 3 letter words. (I thought there was a list where useful 3-letter words could be added to to allow search but if so you'd think Yap would be on it by now ...)

You can get around this 3 letter issue by adding a wildcard at the end. Search for:

YAP*

and you will get the results you need. Crude, but effective.

underwaternet:
yes, it does seem to be a PITA to get to but doesn't seem to be any worse than say the Solomon Islands.

Mike, how many dives are done per day at MRBH? I can't seem to find that on the site. Oh, and is there E6 at the photo center?

Hi, the number of dives is pretty much up to you. We usually do 2 in the morning, with snacks during surface interval then come back to the hotel for lunch. You could then do a third dive in the afternoon followed by either a Mandarin Fish dive at 5:30 or a night dive at 6:30-7 ish

Unfortunately i no longer offer E6 here, chemicals are just too expensive these days as the amount of demand has dwindled to very very little. I would say 90% of photographers visiting the islands these days shoot digital.
For E6 you need to take your film to Palau, (thats what i do!)

If you want to see some very recent photos visit my personal site at www.bigblueimages.com

Hopefully see you out here next year.

Mike

Damselfish:
It's up on a hill a bit and the dive shop is down the hill at their beach area so not quite as convienient for that - and it doesn't have Mike :wink:

Well, you have just scored big bonus points in my book!!!! :07:

Back
Top Bottom