Yamaha 275L

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cyborg Pirate

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Happy new year everyone.

Let me start by saying. I am not looking to substitute the Yamaha for a true DPV. So I am not requesting comments telling me that it’s not a dpv etc. what I am after is a recreational scooter that can tow me about 300 yards from my House boat to the local dive site. In short it takes me a lot of loading and unloading and labor to load all my gear to get to the site, when I could just don the gear and scooter 300 yards to get there. I at this point have no need for a big DPV. Would love a subgravity reference but new baby and just purchasing my prism 2. I cannot spend another 6k on a DPV.

So my purpose for the thread is looking to see if anyone has any experience with the smaller recreational scooters by Yamaha or even seadoo.

Thank you

Have you thought about getting a used "real" scooter instead? You can often find used UV18s or short Gavins or Makos/Teknas. for less than a new Yamaha 275L. Another option would be the Bonex Aquaprop.

My issue with the "pool toy" DPVs (Yamaha, Seadoo, etc) is that they seem to have poor resale value and are very underpowered ime. Diving a BMCCR is a lot of drag and 300yds each way is 2000ft and is a non-negligible distance for those. However, I have no experience with the "new crop" of them.

I have looked into them. However my finding have been. Shipping, cost of repairs to them and replacement batteries. I am right at the same price or close to new ones. I really like the AquaProp as well. But again.... 1800.00 for it. The new Yamaha boasts the same specs. Unfortunately I have the same thoughts as you do. The older pool toys are just that. Toys. But these new Yamaha’s seem pretty impressive. Again, not looking for a machine to use on tech dives or anything just something to get me over to the local dive site. And that’s only 1 or 2x a month. I normally dive off my boat or my House boat.

Mako's can be found used for around $500-$700 in decent shape. The batteries are inexpensive. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck with something like that.

stead? You can often find used UV18s or short Gavins or Makos/Teknas. for less than a new Yamaha 275L. Another option would be the Bonex Aquaprop.

My issue with the "pool toy" DPVs (Yamaha, Seadoo, etc) is that they seem to have poor resale value and are very underpowered ime. Diving a BMCCR is a lot of drag and 300yds each way is 2000ft and is a non-negligible distance for those. However, I have no experience with the "new crop" of them.

This. Get a used UV-18 for a grand and a set of cheap batteries and it will be more reliable and better suited. You don't need expensive Genesis batteries for it since you're not relying on it for overhead stuff.

The new Yamaha boasts the same specs.

I just wonder how accurate their numbers are. The SeaDoos I rode didn't have 10% of the claimed performance.

I'd second the used Mako/Tekna recommendation. Parts are readily available and community assistance is as well, if you are the least bit handy with tools.

I'd point out that the unit you are looking at is not made by Yamaha, it is a "licensed product" which means the company that actually makes them, simply pays Yamaha a fee to put their name and logo on them, to make them appear as if they would have the same quality and performance as actual Yamaha designed and manufactured products. They used to be licensed by SeaDoo and for whatever reason they are now rebranded under Yamaha, but are still the same thing you can get unbranded on eBay direct from China, with a less than stellar track record for leaks. In your case, if it does fail, at least you wouldn't have a terribly long swim back to shore. If you want user reviews, search SeaDoo on Amazon. They are the same thing, just "Discontinued" under the SeaDoo name.

Can anyone point me to where they finding these used DPVs for 5-700? All I am finding is 1500-1800 for the used makos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom