Yak found adrift - Coast Guard is seeking information on anyone missing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This just came across my desk, and I thought I would post it here. If you have any information, please let me know, or call the below number:

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — The Coast Guard is seeking the public’s help in identifying the owner of a green kayak found approximately six miles off Boca Grande Pass, Fla., Thursday.
Coast Guard watchstanders at Sector St. Petersburg command center received notification that a 10-foot green Sun Dolphin Aruba II kayak was found by a good Samaritan at 6 p.m. There was an empty sandwich wrapper from Gander Mountain Stores, shrimp and fishing gear found in the kayak.
The Coast Guard has launched search and rescue crews aboard an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Air Station Clearwater, a 45-Foot Response Boat-Medium from Station Cortez and diverted the Coast Guard Cutter Marlin, an 87-foot Coastal Patrol Boat from Sector Key West.
Anyone able to identify the kayak's owner is asked to contact Coast Guard Sector St. Petersburg watchstanders at 727-824-7506.
The Coast Guard recommends owners place contact information on kayaks, dinghies, and other small vessels so personel can ensure the return of the vessel if it is found unmanned at sea. Paddle smart stickers may be obtained through local Coast Guard Auxiliary flotillas.
###
Date: Aug 1, 2013
Office: (305) 965-4672

Attachments

• Yak1.jpg
    Yak1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Yak2.jpg
    Yak2.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Yak3.jpg
    Yak3.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 148
Nope, I don't recognize it. Thanks for posting ReefGuy. I hope it just drifted away from shore.

Anybody ever claim that Yak?

Not that I am aware of.

I had heard about the missing diver, but not the kayak. Last I heard, no news on the diver (current as of today am).

Different place similar situation, Anyone have more info on the missing diver out of Ponce Inlet?

Coast Guard searches for missing diver off Ponce Inlet | Volusia County News - WESH Home

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2013 at 02:59 PM ----------

The diver has been found. Unfortunately, he was deceased. I have heard nothing about the kayak

From what I heard, the story has split into a missing diver and a missing kayaker and are now considered unrelated. No news on either incident outside of that.

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom