XZ1 with Ikelite housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMM

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Is anyone here using this camera with Ikelite housing? It would APPEAR that it overcomes the problems of full manual camera control present in the Olympus housing AND full TTL if you use one of their newer strobes. I am guessing my OLY wt mount lenses wouldnt work though. Comments?

Ikelite likes to keep all of their stuff proprietary.. When and if you decide to upgrade you HAVE to buy another Ikelite housing for your strobes to work in TTL. With the other brands their Optical sTTL will work practically with any housing. Yes right now The YS strobes wont do sTTL with XZ-1 But they will with others. I have the inon d2000 strobes with the XZ-1 and I should be able to use those on my next set up. The only real advantage to ikelite is their TTL is True Hardwired. it connects in your hot shoe on your camera then your strobes hook up to that connection on the housing. Good luck with your decision. I pondered and lost sleep over mine until I finally decided.

It is silly to think ikelite is keeping their stuff proprietary. How else could they do it?

They already have to reverse engineer every camera, from every manufacturer they support. Should they also reverse engineer all the competing strobes, in order to reduce sales of their own? Maybe inon & sea & sea should reverse engineer the ike system, so they could make their strobes compatible!.!

It would be nice to have a standard. For a long time that standard was nikonos. But it could not do digital TTL.

For me, wired strobes work far better than optical. You don't have all the extra heat and waiting time for the on camera flash to recycle.

If you ever want to use true optical TTL with an ike strobe, just get a heinrich's DA converter, and you are compatible with far more cameras than the YS strobes.

Not sure about the oly wet mount. I see ikelite offers a 67mm threaded adapter, so the oly lenses should fit. Very likely a macro lens would have no problem. The wide angle might be more sensitive to exact spacing and what not. Maybe ask reef photo...

2011 Compact Camera Buyers Guide

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom