XS Scuba TriMetal Rocks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaliJoe

Registered
Reaction score
When I got certified for SCUBA I knew that I will have to work within a very tight budget to get my own equipment. I started looking at regs and was drawn immediately to the Atomics line of regulators. However, since the price of these regs were simply out of reach for a working stiff, I started considering less pricey alternatives. The XS TriMetal caught my attention because it offered the features I so appreciated in the Atomics line without the hefty price.

Fast forward three years and my regulator choice has been vindicated by the simple fact that I am still alive after taking this regulator down to depths(220') well past the limits of recreational scuba. Furthermore, when you consider the fact that the TriMetal blew everyone out of the water when ScubaLab conducted their muscle reg tests, it just goes to show that price should never be the determining factor when choosing a regulator.

I know that there are brand loyal readers out there who will always attach price to the quality of a regulator and to you I say kudos on your choices. As for me, I place more emphasis on the objectivity of a machine since it neither cares for the price or the brand of regulator it is "breathing".

Just added a Airwave inline to my SeaAir regulator... I've got an XS/worthington LP85, too.
I didin't start out to be an XS guy- my first purchase was just some weight pockets. Great products and value!

Does XS make a "Coldwater" reg? I'm all about saving some money if I can find a Quality Product cheaper.

My initial inclination was to get a Titan LX over the Legend for this very reason, but will XS regs perform well in cold water?

PM Mike(of XS Scuba) for an Ice Kit for the TriMetal. I still see it as an available part from the dealer catalog at the shop, Mike should have no problem getting that out to you. Or you can ask your LDS to install a cold water kit on the TriMetal you plan to buy. The ambient chamber of the reg will have to packed with either silicon grease if its going to be used for nitrox gasses not exceeding 40%. If your going to use the reg as a stage reg where it will be exposed to mixes higher than 40%, the silicon grease and all of reg's O-rings will be substituted for the appropriate O2 compatible parts. As for the cold water capabilities of the standard TriMetal, mine has been down deep into the high forties without a complaint.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom