XS Scuba Manifold / Valve Bonnet nut oring size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mustang_5l

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Anyone know the Bonnet nut o-ring size is on an XS Scuba valve or manifold? XS won't cross reference their o-ring size for me. Their part number is VX17-E

Here is the e-mail I received:
"We do not provide generic o-ring sizes for our valves. It has been our experience that when 3rd party supplied o-rings are used on our products, there are issues with leaking, premature wear, etc. We have no control over the quality of o-rings not supplied by us and they often do not meet our OEM specs.

Our part number for the XS Scuba valve Bonnet o-ring is VX17-E."

I smell BS :/

If the old o-ring appears to be a standard size, i.e. 1/16 inch cross section, measure the outside diameter of the stem the o-ring fits on and by .98 to give you the inside diameter of the o-ring you need. Go to this chart O-ring Sizing Chart and find a seal with those dimensions. For instance, you measure the stem and it's 0.244 inches. X .98 = 0.239 Find the o-ring on the chart with that i.d. (or slightly smaller) and you'll see a -010 is the correct size. As cheap as o-rings are, buy the next size larger and smaller and you should be all set. Alternatively, take the parts to the hardware store, find the correct size then order a Viton or EPDM seal.

Last edited:
In case anyone else comes across this old thread in their search for an answer, a size is 113 will work. Not a perfect match though as the original is slightly smaller in cross section.

I've been looking for a definitive answer to this, and talking to John from Northeast Scuba Supply, he suggested it was probably a metric o-ring.

So I forked over the money for an actual XS Scuba rebuild kit, and measured a new VX17-E o-ring from it.

Here are the measurements I got, using an optical comparator:

OD: 0.72775 (18.48mm)
ID: 0.53575 (13.60mm)
CS: 0.09622 (2.44mm)

And while that is pretty close to a 113, it's pretty much an exact match for a metric 13.6x2.4 (18.4 OD).

XS Scuba lists the material as EPDM, and not Viton like the other o-rings in the kit.

The final question is durometer, given the high pressure, I have to assume it's a 90.

McMaster only has them in 70 duro, but poking around on the internet, 13.6x2.4 in 90 duro looks pretty easy to find.

So a decade later, there you have it: 13.6x2.4

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom