XS-Scuba 80 CF Aluminum Neutrally Buoyant Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might end up having to point out the "3300" stamped onto the tank every time you try to get it filled..

I had some S80N's (that is the Luxfer number for them). I think I paid about 175.00 for them at my LDS. They are nice tanks, but why not just get the PST Steel E7-80's for 199.00 instead? The S80N's are .5 # positive when empty, the E7-80's are a pound or two negative when empty. I believe the S80N's are also about 2" longer than standard AL80's and the E7-80's are about 2" shorter than a standard AL80.

Mark

I have been looking at the E7-80 as well as a nuetral AL80. Don't know about Luxfer but the Catalina nuetral AL80 is almost 3/4" shorter. One thing that I may have troubles with is the fill pressure and getting a full fill. I know it isn't that much more, but.

jonnythan, what is your point? I am missing it.

Sorry, my mistake. The S80N and the Neutral Catalina (C-80?) are a bit over 25" long. The "standard" 80's are right about 26" long.

The E7-80 is 20" long.

You just need to make sure that you actually get your fills to 3300 (after the tank has cooled). Half the time I would get between 2700 and 3000. They need to be able to do HP fills. A fill of 2700 on that tank would only give you about 62 CF if my (middle of the night) calculations are correct.

Mark

Getting good fills is definitely a problem. I usually get 2700-2900 in my E8-119s, though after a lot of "education" my LDS is starting to do better. Know folks with 3300 PSI AL tanks who have the same problem. Another note of interest - many shops will fill the tanks to several hundred lbs overpressure, counting on the pressure dropping as they cool down. IMHO, steel tanks are more likely to withstand this kind of abuse long term than AL.

My $.02 worth - add 50 more coppers and maybe it'll get ya a cup of coffee!

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom