XS Scuba 7' SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have experience with that specific DSMB, but I have one from DGX that's nearly identical. The only feature I see missing (from both the XS one & my DGX one), is some DSMBs have a small transparent pocket near the top, where you can insert notes or lights.

DGX Gears Yellow/Orange Combo Surface Marking Tube { 5 ft | 1.5 m }

Do you have a specific use-case in mind? Where do you usually dive?

Some people carry two 2x DSMBs. I personally carry 1x DSMB & 1x float-bag. One reason for carrying 2x is that apparently sending 2x DMSBs at the same time is sometimes used to signal a problem. Two DSMBs also has the advantage of redundancy. The advantage of 1x DSMB and 1x Float-Bag is when I have a reason to use a float-bag, I use the float-bag, and then I still have the DSMB for typical DSMB purposes.

The downside of a 7ft DSMB would mostly be the amount of space it occupies when stored. That space though may not be a big deal if you have it bungee'd to the side of your backplate, but might be annoying if stored in a pouch.

Do you have a specific use-case in mind? Where do you usually dive?
Not really.
I usually dive at open sea, occasionally from shore.
I would use if to signal my position before surfacing, probably release it from depth (30m?).

The reason im looking at a 2.1m SMB/DSMB is mostly because of it's main purpose, which is to be seen.
And in my mind 2.1m seems a good balance, but that's why im seeking more experienced advice.

I would carry my SMB and spool attached to my BP, perhaps rear mounting hole/D-ring?

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom