XL4+ Setup froze today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CanadaDan

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last year I bought the XL4+ as a travel friendly solution to diving here in Canada and in the Caribbean. I have been very pleased with all aspects of the setup but today experienced a surprise.

On the second dive in 5c water I experienced a frozen primary second stage. The first dive of 22 minutes to 22m had ended properly and I had a 135 minute surface interval in 23c sunny conditions. Three minutes into the second dive the primary went into freeflow. I attempted to clear the issue by cycling the venturi adjustment and the purge. After that I called the dive and ascended still using the regulator and breathing through the freeflow while monitoring my pressure. My dive buddy was right there with me with his octo out and ready for me if I needed it. Once I surfaced I inspected the secondary and could see ice crystals through the mouthpiece. The venturi adjustment was just off minimum while diving for what it's worth. Regs were serviced late last fall but only had 6 dives on them.

The description for the XL4+ on the Apeks site states "The Apeks XL4+ is a compact lightweight regulator suitable for diving in all environments including cold water locations." The FAQ section of the Apeks site also states "What is a cold water regulator? It is a regulator that is designed to be used in water of any temperature. The first stage is environmentally sealed."

Do I know have to consider another set of regulators for use here? At depth we routinely experience 5c water even in the height of summer. If not is there some explanation for what happened?

Maybe some moisture/humidity/water in your tank ?

to quote your PM... were you breathing "moistly"?

Maybe some moisture/humidity/water in your tank ?

Possible but unlikely. There were five of us all diving tanks filled at the same shop. My tanks have always been stored with pressure since new.

My question and concern is directed to Apeks as this reg was bought primarily because its stated it was suited for cold water use. I hope they'll post next week and let me know if their definition of cold isn't as Canadian as mine :wink:

I use my XL4 set without problems so far in Canadian cold waters. I make sure my regs are adjusted to spec at least once a year and only breath on my reg when I am entering the water when it’s cold.

I use my XL4 set without problems so far in Canadian cold waters. I make sure my regs are adjusted to spec at least once a year and only breath on my reg when I am entering the water when it’s cold.

Regs were serviced late last fall but only had 6 dives on them (added to OP).

As far as breathing on the reg in the air I don't do that... reg goes in the mouth on the OK signal just prior tot he descent.

Possible but unlikely. There were five of us all diving tanks filled at the same shop. My tanks have always been stored with pressure since new.

My question and concern is directed to Apeks as this reg was bought primarily because its stated it was suited for cold water use. I hope they'll post next week and let me know if their definition of cold isn't as Canadian as mine :wink:

I don't believe Apeks monitors this forum. Many don't. You should contact them directly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom