XDEEP Stealth REC VS TEC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad Larson

Registered
Reaction score
I am interested in those using the Stealth REC in cold water with steel tanks.
REC Stealth only lists 28lbs of lift, while the TEC version lists 49lbs.

90% of my dives are done in cold water with drysuit and reasonably thick undergarments/steel tanks (HP100's). Majority of people in this area are using a Hollis SMS-75 with 40lbs of lift. It would be nice to purchase the REC version (less bulk) for both cold and warm water diving when on vacation. Worried that the REC version is not going to be adequate for cold water with steel tanks.

This will be my first sidemount purchase. Was looking at the SMS-75, but like the freedom of movment that the Stealth seems to offer. As well looks way less bulky for packing on tropical destinations.

Just looking for some more opinions as I did not find much regarding the REC version.

No I have not been. 35lbs of lift, but not a lot of room to store weights. Although they say it's designed for cold water, looks more of a warm water BC to me. I also don't like all the stainless hardware for holding the top of the tanks. All I see is me ripping my dry gloves.

Hey Chad.
There is a UTD sidemount harness on KIJIJI Calgary. I'm using the same rig and am very happy with it.
The 37# of lift in the Delta shaped wing is adjustable and the open area along the spine works great for soft weight.
I think the guy only wants $300 for it.

I used to have a sms75, and now I have a Stealth Tec.

The rec version is just smaller, and has a bunch of buckles that you don't need(if you buy the harness and wing as a pre-assembled set). The tec version (41.8lbs of lift, not 49) has about the same lift that a SMS75 has(39.7lbs) IF YOU DON'T USE THE DOOR HANDLES TO MOUNT STEEL TANKS on the sms75. The lift of the SMS75 is significantly reduced when tanks pull down on the widest part of the wing, at the back. The stealth tec and sms75 are the same weight, but the sms75 has a bunch of junk on it that can't be easily folded for packing. I had my sms75 dialed in very well for diving with steels (edd-mods + a lot of tweaking myself), so it felt very mobile to me, no less so than my stealth. But, the sms75 is a mess with AL80s and has a lot of junk on the back that is not needed and not streamlined. That lead me to ditching it in favor of the stealth TEC which is great in either configuration, more streamlined, and easier to pack.

Unless you dive with stages, I would guess that you could get by with the rec model. But, with steel tanks, and considering the tec is only slightly bigger than the rec i don't see a reason to opt for the smaller rec wing. Either stealth will be easier to pack than the SMS75 and both will serve you better as a dual-role SM BC.

check here for some detailed (and heated) discussion of some of the factors that may contribute to your decision, comparing FL-inspired cold water rigs and the stealth among others: Hollis SMS 100

Last edited:
No I have not been. 35lbs of lift, but not a lot of room to store weights. Although they say it's designed for cold water, looks more of a warm water BC to me. I also don't like all the stainless hardware for holding the top of the tanks. All I see is me ripping my dry gloves.

FYI, about the nomad, I believe it works well with a bit of modification to keep it from ballooning up on the back when getting full. Of course, the mods tighten down the wing and you may lose lift, I don't know for sure. The ring bungee system can be swapped out easily for a loop bungee system. About weights, only recently have any of the "cold water" SM rigs been trying to find ways to easily add weight for warm water. The new DR rigs do have that option I think as an accessory. Still, no one beats the XDEEP spine weight pocket.

Quick question for people who have dove the classic and Rec/Tec.. Do you find the classic any less restrictive than the tec? It looks as though you may not be able to twist and turn as much with the turtle style of the tec version..
Maybe have a little more mobility with the classic when diving in a thick dry suit??

Hi Chad,
I have the classic and the Tec. I prefer the classic. There's no difference in mobility between the classic and Tec. I've used both for exploration and have not had issues with either. I wouldn't look at the Apeks as it's not as robust in it's attachment points for cold water diving. I have a UTD rig that I'd sell you for cheap, but I don't think it's what you're looking for. I'm not the biggest fan of anything Hollis for sidemount (and I've owned a few of their rigs).

Here's some video of Steath, in Minnewanka, with steel tanks:

I'm in Calgary too. PM me with any other questions. I'm pretty sure I'm the resident expert :wink:

I'm the other way, I prefer the Tec over the Classic. Neither limit mobility more less... the harness is identical.

I find that the Tec moves through restrictions easier... the sloping upper plate helps squeeze the wing under, whereas the Classic can get caught.

Back
Top Bottom