xDeep S2 marker strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just saw this today:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DMF3PZX/

Sold by TecDiveGear, here:

S2 Scuba Strobe Location Light - Tec Dive Gear

It says it's an xDeep S2 Scuba Diving strobe. It was In Stock, for $89, earlier today. Now it is showing as out of stock.

It says it is 2500 lumens. As a comparison, the Tek-tite 4500 strobe says it is 2600 lumens (2 x 1300). The Light Monkey BAF Diving Strobe is claimed to be 8600 lumens.

The xDeep uses 1 x 26650 battery.

Have any of you seen this xDeep strobe or know anything about it?

I used a Tek-tite 4500 on a dive yesterday and it was bright. A very comforting sight when I was looking for it after getting blown down the wreck a bit by a ripping current.

My suspicion is that the translucent dome on this xDeep strobe would eat some of the light, so even if it has 2500 lumens of raw output, I would guess you can't see it from as far away as the Tek-tite.

Also, the specs say it uses a Cree XM-L2 U2 emitter. That is the same emitter used in my cordless dive lights that claim 1000 lumen output. So, is the 2500 lumen claim very exaggerated? Or, since it's just strobing, are they overdriving the LED to actually get 2500 lumens, since they don't have to worry about overheating from being on continuously? Or are there actually 2 LED emitters in it?

I think I'm going to buy a Light Monkey BAF. But, at $90, if this xDeep one is really all they claim, it might be a good, less-expensive backup to also have.

Hi Stuartv, Is there any new opinion or update from you (or any other?) about your S2 topic? I am shopping for 1st time strobe and am considering this price point but am open to the LM BAF or the Trojan Classic II. These 3 seems to be the most discussed. Unfortunately I have not found a discussion that specifically compares these strobes.

I have the S2 strobe. It is very bright. I also am surprised and disappointed by the translucent dome?? Makes no sense to me. I also have a Princeton Tec Aqua Strobe LED and the XDeep S2 is SUBSTANTIALLY brighter than that strobe. I can't compare it to the LM.

I don’t know any more now about the S2 than I did when I started this topic.

I bought the LM BAF, but I can’t say I’m entirely happy with it. It’s bright AF - when it works. I have only actually used it once. But, twice I have tried to use it and it wouldn’t turn on. The first time, I know it was fully charged. LM support told me to connect it to the charger again, just for a couple seconds, to reset something internal and then it would turn on. I did what they said and that worked.

This past weekend I tried to use it. It had been sitting probably since I used it last Halloween. I had not charged it probably since then. Again, it wouldn’t turn on. I connected the charger and it did not start charging (the charger light stayed blue). After a few minutes, I disconnected the charger and reconnected it. Then the charger LED turned red. I left it and came back later. The charger LED was blue, so I disconnected it and tested it and the strobe turned on.

I’m not very happy about all that. Getting to the dive site and finding that it won’t turn on is very inconvenient. The solution being to reconnect it to the charger just for a couple of seconds is very, VERY inconvenient at most sites I dive.

Gqllc007 - Any chance you know the approx. burn time from flat for your S2? how long the battery last? Have you ever let it run in on position (strobe setting) until it dies?

Stuartv - I feel your pain. I have a demo BAF and plan to test this week in dark uw conditions at quarry. I also have a Trojan Classic II to test - also awful blinding like the BAF. I am waiting on an S2 to come to me.

Interested in opinions here as my Tektite Lite recently moved out on me to become a permanent part of the USS San Diego.

How much does the LM BAF typically sell for?

I am actually in the middle of a "strobe study". I have 6 and we are comparing them. Plan to make a chart. maybe post it here.

The baf sells 300 is my understanding. It is blindingly bright. A category on it's own. I made mistake turning it on, noticed a delay than BAMM it turned on and zapped my retinas.

I am actually in the middle of a "strobe study". I have 6 and we are comparing them. Plan to make a chart. maybe post it here.

The baf sells 300 is my understanding. It is blindingly bright. A category on it's own. I made mistake turning it on, noticed a delay than BAMM it turned on and zapped my retinas.
Any word on the "strobe study"?

That
I just saw this today:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DMF3PZX/

Sold by TecDiveGear, here:

S2 Scuba Strobe Location Light - Tec Dive Gear

It says it's an xDeep S2 Scuba Diving strobe. It was In Stock, for $89, earlier today. Now it is showing as out of stock.

It says it is 2500 lumens. As a comparison, the Tek-tite 4500 strobe says it is 2600 lumens (2 x 1300). The Light Monkey BAF Diving Strobe is claimed to be 8600 lumens.

The xDeep uses 1 x 26650 battery.

Have any of you seen this xDeep strobe or know anything about it?

I used a Tek-tite 4500 on a dive yesterday and it was bright. A very comforting sight when I was looking for it after getting blown down the wreck a bit by a ripping current.

My suspicion is that the translucent dome on this xDeep strobe would eat some of the light, so even if it has 2500 lumens of raw output, I would guess you can't see it from as far away as the Tek-tite.

Also, the specs say it uses a Cree XM-L2 U2 emitter. That is the same emitter used in my cordless dive lights that claim 1000 lumen output. So, is the 2500 lumen claim very exaggerated? Or, since it's just strobing, are they overdriving the LED to actually get 2500 lumens, since they don't have to worry about overheating from being on continuously? Or are there actually 2 LED emitters in it?

I think I'm going to buy a Light Monkey BAF. But, at $90, if this xDeep one is really all they claim, it might be a good, less-expensive backup to also have.
That looks identical to a Hi-Max strobe, with XDeep S2 written on in crayon.

They work very well and aren’t too expensive for when Neptune’s spindly hand reaches out for more shiny stuff to adorn his locker.

Good value for money, works well, doesn’t fall apart. A quarter turn on the body disconnects the battery so it cannot turn on by accident.

I have an S2 strobe. It is very bright BUT for the life of me I don't understand why they put an opaque cover over the bulb vs a translucent cover which would have been so much brighter????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom