Xdeep/Genz Black - screen brightness issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LoViz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

Does anyone else have/use an Xdeep/Genz Black? If so I'm really in need of some feedback.

I picked up a Genz (formerly XDeep) Black EANx last fall from another diver. It was basically NIB and hadn't been used at all.

Is the screen on all these just dim? It seems to me that the screen is not bright enough. It is readable indoors as long as you are not in an extremely bright room, but it is NOT readable outdoors during the day... at any time of day really. It doesn't have to be sunny either. Overcast during the day and I can't tell it is on without placing my hand around it to create a makeshift shade.

In the water it is the same story. At shallower depths you can't tell it is on. I can finally start seeing it around 30 feet in our local quarries. It's pretty useless trying to read if for reaching safety stops. At deeper darker depths the display is pretty awesome, which makes me sad that it is so bad at shallower depths and on the surface.

My firmware is updated to the latest version. The screen brightness is set to 5 which is the highest setting on mine it seems. Auto dimming is turned off. I've also done a factory reset in hopes something would change and it has not. I've tried all the different color schemes as well.

I'll try post some pictures later today to show what I'm seeing.

I'm not opposed to sending it in for service, but if this is a common complaint, then I'll just move on to something else as I don't have a ton of money invested in this in the first place.

I've noticed that in the water lately that I can barely read my screen (at any depth). Original owner and I could once see screen very clearly. I was about to contact them and ask what is up.

Any others?

sounds like pmoled fade. may want to ask genz what type of screen they are using and if they have switched to amoled.

This is a very common problem, possibly every Black owner has experienced this.
I have one as a backup computer/bottom timer and had the screen replaced last year.
Until this year Genz replaced displays with a cost of postage, now they are charging something for the new display.

I threw mine in the trash because of it. Just not worth it to send to Poland to get swapped when i’ve already got other computers. It’s a shame, I really liked the size and functionality as a backup bottom timer, and i’d probably feel differently if it were unlocked for other things.

Wow, I had no idea this was that widespread. Thank you to all that responded. I'd be interested to hear from any others as well with this issue.

I did a lot of searching on this before posting and didn't find anything with my Google-fu skills. But now running a search on "Xdeep black screen" brings this thread up as the #3 result as of today.

For the sake of others doing searches on this in the future, here are the photos of mine indoors and outdoors.

Note, this unit only has 6 logged dives on it, so very little actual screen "on" time to speak of. The screen may have a shelf-life issue, not necessarily a burn-time issue in my mind.

Indoors on my kitchen table. Max brightness:
BlackIndoors.jpg

Outdoors on my deck, early evening in the shade. Not bright out at all. Max brightness (yes it is on!). I honestly think my camera is picking up more light from it that I can see with my eyes:
BlackOutdoors.jpg

Any sun and you can totally forget about seeing anything at all.

I think for the sake of being complete and for others searching on this, I'll contact Genz and ask about this and see what they say. I'm not willing to put any money into a screen if this just going to be an ongoing issue. I think putting money towards a used Petrel/Perdix would be a much better option.

I'll post back with what I end up hearing from them.

I did a lot of searching on this before posting and didn't find anything with my Google-fu skills. But now running a search on "Xdeep black screen" brings this thread up as the #3 result as of today.

There is a Genz Black user facebook group. Not very active, but mostly discussing screen replacement issues.

sounds like pmoled fade. may want to ask genz what type of screen they are using and if they have switched to amoled.
I expect this is your issue. There are huge differences between passive-matrix and active-matrix OLED displays. PMOLED's are a lot less expensive, but a number of dive computers using them have experienced fading. AMOLED displays don't have this issue, nor do the TFT displays used in most high end color computers today.

The replaced screen seems identical to the original one (before fading). Genz hasn't really answered whether these new screens are more durable or are they just using old stock when replacing screens.
The Black is a discontinued product with issues, thus I don't think it is wise to spend money servicing it any more.

Just as my last update to this. Genz has not been responsive at all to my attempts to email them. I did get a one sentence response initially from them asking "when and where it was purchased?" but that is it. I've heard nothing but crickets since. They've not responded to any of my further attempts about getting the screen replaced, even outside of warranty offering to pay them to replace it (even though I would never actually do this).

So my advice to you if you have this issue shouldn't be a surprise... forget about fixing it. Save your money and move on to something else! This product is dead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom