xD is catching up with Compact Flash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Olympus

Things are starting to move in the xD camp now with the 512mB card.

Question is, how do these compare to the Compact Flash?

Are they quicker at writing?

Has anyone with a 5050 tried it out?

I was told to steer clear of the micro drives as they are very temperamental and fragile

clive

well XD is getting there but its nowhere even close to the 4gb compact flash cards that are out now.

another thing is that complact flash is used in more brands then anything else(canon,nikon, fuji, etc) and in more cameras. it is the defacto standard for a majority of the cameras , and most importantly the pro cams only use CF cards.

the XD card is nice because its small forthe new palm size cams, but its only supported by two manufactures (oly and fuji) so the exposure is limited and they cost more (sort of like sd and mmc cards)

FWIW

I wonder how the bigger xD cards will hold up in this comparison. I use a 128xD and 512CF in my Oly 5050. I've found, informally, that the xD is faster at writing than the CFs, but not by much. And of course, when I tried shooting in RAW, everything slowed down significantly.
TedJ

I just bought a 1 gigabyte transcend card after hearing lots of praise for it on digitaldiver. In a very informal test, the 30x compact flash was noticably faster than my 256mb XD card. Although I wish I would have held off buying the XD card as their prices are sure to drop once the 512s start hitting the markets in mass...

Back
Top Bottom