Xcel wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
I just took delivery of my new Xcel 5-4-3 "Tri-Density Thermo Glideskin" wetsuit. I haven't dived with it, but I did try it on at home.

This is a very nice wetsuit!! The glideskin/titanium lining made it VERY easy to pull on, and it fits very well. Here are some features that I like about it:
  • Sizes: Xcel has 13(!!) standard sizes for Men, 9 for Women, and they even do Kids and Toddlers (how's that for a baby shower!). The XL size fit me very well.
  • Zipper Tabs: Velcro tabs are provided in the back and at the ankles to keep the zippers in the closed position.
  • Lining: The lining does make it very easy to pull the suit on, but what I like best is that the lining does not go all the way to the seams in the chest, shoulders, back zipper, and other areas of high "stretch". Some other suits do, and this means that their lining is more likely to eventually tear away from the seams causing your suit to wear prematurely.
  • Hidden Key Pocket: Now that's thinking about your customer. At the top of the zipper is a little flapped pocket for putting your car key.
  • Ankle Flaps: At the ankles, there is extra spandex for tucking into your booties before zipping the legs closed. This looks like it will help reduce the amount of water getting into your feet.
  • Pre-bent: A thick suit can limit your range of motion, but this suit comes "pre-formed" at the shoulders, elbows, hips, and knees. During my "dry run" here at home, I found movement, sitting, squatting, and such to not be hampered.
So far I am very happy with my purchase. The 5-mil was purchased to cover the colder waters of Texas (such as Terrell and the deeper parts of Possum Kingdom and Travis) and for diving in the winter with my 2-mil chicken vest. I will post more info when I get some dives done with it.

--"Warm and Toasty" TexasMike

Interesting about the lining not going into the seams. That's my only complaint with my Liquid Fit suits, they seem prone to tearing at the seams. And I've been told it is because of the way the lined suits have to be put together, ie they can't be double blind stitched and glued due to the material. Will have to look into Xcel.

Now you need to tell us how much it cost? Do they customize their suits at all?

Pearce & I priced Liquidfit for a pair of full length 1/8" suits and they wanted over $500 PER SUIT. Their discount price dropped it to $375 per suit. Still too much IMHO.

We got a pair of custom 1/8" suits from a now defunct mfg in Canada called Mountain Dreams (XLR8) for $250CDN each about 5 years ago. Our original suits from them are now 7 years old. They have stood up fairly well.

However, while I might be able to get away with off the rack, Pearce at 6'4", 300lbs with a 56-58: chest probably will not. So I think we're "stuck" with custom.

~SubMariner~

I'll see if I can find a link to their sizing chart and post it. If not, I'll scan the chart that came with the suit.

This is one of the upper end suits, and the cost with discount from LDS was $245. LDS also goofed and left it in the box that it came in with the UPS sticker. Xcel charged the LDS $225 COD. So I can't complain about outrageous markup on this sale.

Custom fitting is available from Xcel off of their basic sizes for $50 (maybe less, don't remember since an "off the rack" fit me).

Hey Boom,

Since TexasMike is already gone for the weekend on the Texas Swamp Dive outing, I'll field that questions.
He frequents the following LDS:

Sand and Sea Scuba Inc
9410 Walnut St #112
Dallas, TX 75243
972-690-3483

Owner's name is Harold Barnard.

Don't know if you can buy that suit online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom