Xcel or Xcel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KelpCoasters

Reaction score
All right...

Looking for a new wetsuit for 2006. Gained a little weight and need to get something bigger and more comfortable than my full 7mm O'Neil.

I'm torn between two Xcel suits: the Polar Quad Density and Polar Tri Density.

I do all of my diving in Northern California. Suggestions or preferences?

Thanks to all.

Good question, Both are excellent suits, the two I would reccomend over any other out there. 9/7/6 versus 8/7/6/5. While the quad will probably give more flexibility I think i like the toasty idea of the 9 on my chest. Also, if you are freediving or spearfishing around here (N. CA) the 9 is a bit easier to cock a speargun with because of the cushy padding. Additionally, if you dive the more northern parts or areas with signifigant upwelling the tri-density should give a bit more thermal protection when it drops into the 40's. YMMV. When Ab season gets closer, I am going to buy a tri-density for freediving.

I can't comment on the quad, but I love my 9/7/6. I haven't done too many dives with it yet, but on the shore dives I have done off Monterey and Pt. Lobos it has kept me nice and warm.

I have an older Tri-Density (8,7,6) and it has done quite well for me in Southern California, Virginia, and N. Florida caves. I have used it in water in the 49 degree range, at depth, and have been warm.

Having said that I am now switching to a dry suit because of out of the water warmth. In the water I about equally comfortable, but on the surface interval there is just nothing like being dry.

Your opinion is your own, but there is my 2 cents.

Mark Vlahos

KelpCoasters:
All right...

Looking for a new wetsuit for 2006. Gained a little weight and need to get something bigger and more comfortable than my full 7mm O'Neil.

I'm torn between two Xcel suits: the Polar Quad Density and Polar Tri Density.

I do all of my diving in Northern California. Suggestions or preferences?

Thanks to all.

Interests: Diving, eating, drinking....

You might want to try an Akona :)

Designed for the average American :)

Paul in VT

I rented a Polar Quad several times from my LDS (It's All About Scuba, Fairfield, CA). It was a decent suit, but I wound up buying a Polar Tri. I love my Polar Tri, and about the only thing I would trade it for is a drysuit.

Ok, well, I lied a little, I got a drysuit, but I'll be keeping my Polar Tri for summer diving and when I don't feel like diving dry.

It's nice and warm, in Tahoe or in Monterey Bay. I've had it down to 130' and 42*. I've done several 30-60 minute dives in the 40-50* range without getting chilled to the point of being uncomfortable.

Thanks for your help everybody.
Still on the fence here. Since I don't get cold too easily, I think the deciding factor will be ease of donning/doffing.
The Quad will obviously be lighter/thinner but the Tri has the ankle zip.....

Aaaaaarrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!

Any other personal recommendations before I go to the LDS and try em out?

Thanks again everybody.

KelpCoasters:
Thanks for your help everybody.
Still on the fence here. Since I don't get cold too easily, I think the deciding factor will be ease of donning/doffing.
The Quad will obviously be lighter/thinner but the Tri has the ankle zip.....

Aaaaaarrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!

Any other personal recommendations before I go to the LDS and try em out?

Thanks again everybody.
Ankle Zip GOOD :D It makes using the suit a lot easier because your foot does not get stuck in the end of the leg. An excellent feature for both putting on and taking off the suit. With the ankle zip I wear the leg of the suit on the outside of my bootie. I also have a different brand thinner (warmer water) suit that does not have the ankle zips. Since the other suit is thinner donning and doffing is not an issue, but the bootie goes on the outside of the suit and from time to time gives me problems with the bootie zipper coming un done and filling with water (like a sea anchor) as I swim.

Mark Vlahos

I have the tridensity (they don't make the quad for women for some reason), but I agree that the ankle zipper is definitely nice!

The other nice feature that the tridensity has is that you may find it easier to take on and off than the quad; I think it has some smooth lining on the inside.

I really like my wetsuit. Mine fits me so well that no cold water gets into the suit, and I find that it really is "semi-dry".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom