Xanax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thalassa:
Does anyone knows something about the combination of diving and using a medicine called "Xanax"

If required to maintain normal behavior, such as a person with clinical anxiety, depression, or bipolar disease, there really isn't a recourse ... however, the disease is more a concern than the medication.

Its generally not recommended but not contraindicated. Its an anti-anxiety medication and can have additional sedating properties the could potentiate N2 narcosis.

In toto, such a diver is at increase risk for injury both by the disease requiring the medication and the medication itself, so choosing the dive conditions is a good solution: high vis, no current, shallow depth, no penetration.

Saturation:
If required to maintain normal behavior, such as a person with clinical anxiety, depression, or bipolar disease, there really isn't a recourse ... however, the disease is more a concern than the medication.

Its generally not recommended but not contraindicated. Its an anti-anxiety medication and can have additional sedating properties the could potentiate N2 narcosis.

In toto, such a diver is at increase risk for injury both by the disease requiring the medication and the medication itself, so choosing the dive conditions is a good solution: high vis, no current, shallow depth, no penetration.

Thank you very much. This was fast and helpful.

thalassa:
Does anyone knows something about the combination of diving and using a medicine called "Xanax"

I used to assist with a Recompression Chamber and do a few chamber runs - sometimes to past the equivalent depth of 200ft... As a student learning the operation of the chamber - we often had a blast getting 'naturally wasted via narcosis'. However, we also learned to respect narcosis ie. one could psych one's self into staying focused and not getting carried away - but it was always surprising how a little narcosis could creep in and get the best of someone. Xanax would be one of those things that could allow narcosis to creep in...and at a shallower depth than one might otherwise think possible. Pressure can have an odd effect with certain drugs. I'm not sure what effect a few atmospheres of pressure might have with Xanax - but 'increased sedation' would be one I'd be concerned about along with slowing down one's reaction time. Xanax can be an effective drug but it is extremely addictive...and I would also be concerned about anyone trying to dive after stopping Xanax without having tapered off of it. The effect of withdrawel is practically the reverse of its tranquilizing effect ie. it will cause increased anxiety as well as a sleepless state and a kind of virtual mania including possible elevated vital signs. In some circumstances (if one had a large dose tolerence - it could even cause seizures ) I might get some flack for this - but Xanax is just a nasty drug ie. its half life is so short - it comes rip-roaring out of one's system and creates a physical dependency very quickly - too quickly. It tends to be overprescribed - and while it can be effective in relieving anxiety, I think it's important to think of it as a bridge to getting a person to a point where they can via other therapies and less addictive meds. deal with the anxiety and put it and the Xanax behind them in the recovery process. I'm not saying that to be preaching. I have my own problems(Gosh if I had only given up cigarettes before I finally did...)but Xanax is imho a drug to be thrown away(after it's gotten you thru to a certain point)rather than to be embraced for a lifetime. Narcosis can be a bit psychedellic ie. I remember rolling over laughing in a triple lock chamber at the sound of my donald duck voice and laughing at my laughing causing my buddy to break out laughing...while my other buddy remarked about not being able to read a depth guage because the 'hands seemed too big.'(that was without any Xanax ; )
I would also be concerned(not overly concerned) about Xanax causing one to be more prone to overextert or overbreath a regulator - just because it's so easy to do and imho one of the most common things that cause anxiety in diving ie. I've seen very experienced divers get in trouble via overexertion because they without thinking got in a hurry and then suddenly found themselves to be having trouble catching their breath... Most drownings related to Scuba - the diver still has air in their tank.
Just a cheery thought. On the other hand - a nice shallow warm dive on the reef with a little tiny bit of doctor's orders Xanax - might be very nice ; )

thalassa:

I hope this does not come across as ignorant or as a knee jerk reaction. I am not medically trained. I have known several individuals taking this medication. I would never knowingly dive with someone using Xanax, based upon the loss of intellect that I associate with this drug.

Back
Top Bottom