Xanadu Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickster,

I told you I would give you a full report on the Xanadu so here it is:

The resort itself is up and running fine. The wing that had the fire is still closed and looks as if it will be for some time. The tower is where the majority of the rooms are and was unaffected by the fire. The rooms were huge, the water was hot and the beds were comfortable. Everything we needed to survive a dive trip. We only ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant but the prices were decent and the food was good. The onsite convenient store has snacks, soda, shampoo, etc... We also went down to the Xanadu's private beach and ate a burger from the beach grill. Again, decent price and good food.

The dive shop was wonderful. Chris is a great guy and our divemasters went out of their way for us (especially Ben). They have onsite lockers for all of your belongings and plenty of room and hangers for wetsuits and BCs. Their two dive boats were just okay, but none of the really good sites are farther than 15 minutes away. We only had one day that the boat was full (11 people). The other days they used both boats, one for the beginners and then our boat with just four or five divers for the wrecks and deeper dives.

The diving was good. We dove Mermaid cavern, Tunnels, Theo's wreck, the Sea Star, SPID city, Dolphin Reef and Papa Doc. We also dove Theo's wreck at night. Tunnels/SPID city was an awsome dive (in fact we did it twice)!! The two sites are close enough you can do them both in the same dive. This is also where they do the shark dive so your almost guaranteed to see some reef sharks. The swim throughs at Tunnels are so much fun that you never want to surface again. The wrecks were both interesting but Theo's at night was quite an experience.

If you are planning on doing much of anything but diving, eating and sleeping, I would rent a car. We did not and we would definitely change that part of the trip. The Xanadu is very isolated from any other dining or shopping. The International Market is pretty much closed except on days when cruise ships are in port. This is mainly due to the fact most of the hotels and resorts in that area are still closed. Port Lucaya was not hit nearly as hard as Freeport and has good shopping and restaurants. The nearest grocery store is the Winn Dixie about 10 miles away. The buses do not go anywhere close to the Xanadu so you are left with taking taxis. We spend as much money on taxis as we would have on a rental car. One last thing. Don't expect great service in the Bahamas. I was warned about this beforehand and thought how bad could it really be. I found out, BAD!! Oh well, I didn't mind because I was on vacation!!

Hope this helps.

We stayed at Xanadu last april for vacation and certification. We loved it, but we did rent a car. Xanadu diving is really laid back and carefree. We did three dives, the third the shark dive. On that dive there were 7 of us onboard. We were the only two onboard for our first dive and for our second there were five of us.

We stayed pre-fire. The hotel is nice. They will try to sell you a timeshare presentation, but we immediately said no thanks when we first arrived and that was the last time we were approached. There did seem to be ongoing maintenance during our stay, but it was minimal.

The beach was a short walk across a parking lot away. It was nice enough for us. They have an outside bar w/ food and music and everyone seemed to be having a fun time.

We wanted and needed a car rental. Xanadu is a bit isolated. We went into town each night for a stroll and headed to the large resort area one evening too to check out the festivities. Their manmade beaches made a nice night time walk.

There's a restaurant northwest of town a bit out of the way that is definitely worth a meal. I can't remember the name, but I'm sure it's been posted before. In the evening as the sun sets the restaurant throws fish into the ocean and a swarm of sharks fight for it, often times bulging completely out of the water. We sat seaside at our table and watched the sharks swimming below the entire dinner. It was really cool to see these guys up close for such an extensive period of time as we drank our beers.

Xanadu isn't upscale, but if all you care about is a roof over your head and diving, I think you will be more than pleasantly suprised. I'd rate this hotel as one step away from the nicer small resorts. Clean, modern rooms, a view of the ocean, a very clean pool w/ a nice deck, close clean beach, comfortable surroundings, a pool table and bar, lunch time munchies, a dive shop that made us feel completely comfortable and welcome and gave us a great memory burned to dvd of our shark dive.

We're all different, but we really enjoyed ourselves at xanadu and would go back if there weren't a trillion other places we weren't so curious about.

Andy

Pier One is the restaurant I was thinking, but I just read it was destroyed in the hurridane last fall.

Thank you, Bikefox & Shrew. I am really looking forward to our trip. The car rental seems like the way to go. The dive spots are plentiful, two dive boats, helpful DM's, warm water, a clean bed, and a place to get something to eat. What more could we ask for? Thanks again, for the reports,
Rick

Rickster:
Thank you, Bikefox & Shrew. I am really looking forward to our trip. The car rental seems like the way to go. The dive spots are plentiful, two dive boats, helpful DM's, warm water, a clean bed, and a place to get something to eat. What more could we ask for? Thanks again, for the reports,
Rick

Just remember WE drive on the wrong side of the road...or at least that's what they told me. :) The roundabout can be a scarry place.

Back
Top Bottom