x deep dump valve options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazy_Canuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hey peeps just had my first couple dives with my new xdeep tec and boy is that dump valve hard to reach. has anyone done mods to make it easier to use? please show pics and describe please... thankx all.

This is what I did, it holds the bottom of the wing up and in closer to your body making it easier to grab the dump.
D7B048C2-0A79-4FF2-816D-084CB1213D7F.jpeg
671420B6-7D8C-4994-A767-CB696B2C6E39.jpeg

Agreed. I was told that "if you can wipe your ass, you can reach this dump valve," and having wiped my own for a good number of years now, grabbing that little string is not quite as easy, especially in a drysuit, cold water undergarment, and thick gloves (not that I've tried to wipe in that getup). I'm getting better at finding the valve as time goes on, but hopping on this thread for any tips.

Agreed. I was told that "if you can wipe your ass, you can reach this dump valve," and having wiped my own for a good number of years now, grabbing that little string is not quite as easy, especially in a drysuit, cold water undergarment, and thick gloves (not that I've tried to wipe in that getup). I'm getting better at finding the valve as time goes on, but hopping on this thread for any tips.

Can you paste a photo of how the wing sits on your body? A general dry-glove tip in both SM and in BM is to attempt to circle the OPV flange itself between your thumb and pointer finger and then close the circle, ensnaring the string.

Other options:
-tie a larger item at the end of the string, potentially one that floats (eh)
-tie a toggle tight to the OPV case, such that moving the toggle engages the spring
-tie both the toggle or a knot tight to the OPV, then run the remaining string left or right through the next drain grommet and put a toggle or knot here to move you a few inches left or right
-run wing lower on your frame
-Edd mod which switches the corrungated hose to the bottom, lengthens it, and moves the dump to the left side where the corrungated hose is and then run a longer cord up and over the shoulder. He offers this as a service

Photos of most of these are present in the XDeep Stealth owners group on Facebook.

The Garry Dallas mod above is basically what I have done to mine except I ran it all the way to where the crotch bungee tab is inside a piece of hose. My next step is to sew a piece of cordura to encase the entire tube. I have the cordura just need to get to work. This is the string I used, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0761S9FT8/

I was given the wipe your ass speech as well and in a wet suit yea no problem, dry w/ dry gloves, no chance, I made it shorter, put a larger ball on it, nope, by the time I 'found' it, it was to late.

And that’s why I went with the Katana 2.
At one point it becomes a safety issue.

The great thing about those of us who can’t wipe our bottoms is there are people (presumable the same ones that say we can’t) who are more than willing to pay more than what you did for it! :p

_R

I've shortened the cord on mine and have put a bigger knob on it. It's still difficult to find. This is perhaps the only fault on the xDeep. The "If you can wipe your butt" line is crap.

The "If you can wipe your butt" line is crap.
Orrrrr people have the wing in the wrong spot. If you’re not top mounting stages (less and less common) or having sidewinder cans nestled atop the cylinder and lat, it’s really not a big deal, even in two sets of drygloves and a Weezle. Practice just like anything else.

Back
Top Bottom