Wyoming...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psiborg1812

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey divers, I have a buddy of mine considering learning to dive, but he lives in Wyoming. Any dive sites or shops around there he should look at?

Thanks!

Wyoming is a fair sized state. Where is he going to be?

It's not TX big, but it's still big and in a big state, location is everything.

If he's in north eastern Wyoming, he is reasonably close to Rapid City SD and instruction can be found there, and there is some good diving in the region.

If he's near Cheyenne, he's only an hour and a half from Denver and lots of shops.

It's not TX big, but it's still big and in a big state, location is everything.

If he's in north eastern Wyoming, he is reasonably close to Rapid City SD and instruction can be found there, and there is some good diving in the region.

If he's near Cheyenne, he's only an hour and a half from Denver and lots of shops.

Yes and if he is in Western Wyoming (Such as Evanston) he is an hour and 30 min from Salt Lake City and the Wasatch Front. There are 4 or 5 PADI shops located along the Wasatch Front. There is also a shop in Casper.

Keeping in mind that Wyoming is the least populated state in the United States distances between one town and another are big. The biggest towns in Wyoming are Casper and Cheyenne, neither of which have a population of 100,000.

Ugh, He just emailed me that he is in southeast Wyoming. is there any hope?

Yep, Southeast Wyoming puts him close to the Denver Metro Area. There are several shops in the area. If he is in Cheyenne he is 1 1/2 hours drive from several shops.

OH, by the way, there is nothing wrong with Wyoming. 0% state income tax. least populated state in the US, fresh air, blue skies plenty of room. I lived there for 20 years.

If he's around Cheyenne, there are, as noted above, several shops in the Ft. Collins and Denver area. If he's more east than south, then the closest option might be Rapid City SD.

I have not lived there in a little over 5 years, but the local dive shop in Rapid City was running a dive boat on Pactola Lake with two tank weekend dives and a single tank evening dive during the week. I'm not sure whether they still do that, but it's by far the best diving in the area. That shop was also very involved in dive travel and flying out of Rapid City or Denver would be options on their packages. Unlike the Denver area, WY and SD are low wage states, so dive trips tend to have a little less gouge than trips booked through Denver shops built in to keep the number of divers higher, but that requires flying out of Denver to keep air fare low - so being in South East WY is not a bad place to be.

That area of Wyoming (well most of the state) is a bit of an acquired taste as is western SD - but it's addictive and the wide open spaces, big skies, clean air and low population pressure is very attractive if you're more outdoorsy than cosmopolitan. The bad news is that good paying jobs are hard to find, and as much as I'd like to move back, I'm not willing to take a 60% cut in pay to do it.

There is (was) a PADI 5-Star shop in Greeley, CO, less than one hour from Cheyenne -- Tortuga Bay. The owner, Ron Bland, is a PADI Course Director.

I live in Laramie and am always looking for dive partners! If he is in the area Western Divers ltd. does a class in the spring semester here at the University of Wyoming. Western Divers are located in Casper, WY Lee and Terry have been great to work with and are the people that certified me. I will be working with them this winter for my ice diver. They have been there for over 30 years I want to say. http://www.westerndiversltd.com/contact_us.html.
There is also a shop in Rock Springs that I have only ever seen passing through town, but I think it is called Mountain Bay Scuba.
If he wants someone to dive with feel free to contact me, I'll be diving next month over our thanksgiving break too, maybe in CO.
Another note if you go to Jackson there is a petrified forest in Jenny lake I believe. I have talked with the guys who own the shop and it's a cold cold dive even in the summer so a dry suit is highly recommended.
Hope this helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom