Closed WTB: VDH Argonaut 23# or its alternatives

Sold or no longer available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D_Fresh

Contributor
Reaction score
@Bryan@Vintage Double Hose

I know that entire supply chains are severely affected by all of the chaos in the world today, and that Bryan is super super busy with his real job, plus VDH. Bryan, If you catch this post, any update on expected stock? I am trying to complete my new kit and get it sent out to me in the Philippines.

Looking for VDH Argonaut 23# (or 18#) wing, preferably with 16" corrugated hose. Shipping to Phx, AZ.

I actually just emailed him yesterday about the 35# wings and he said that he doesn’t have any restocking ETA’s at this moment.

Bummer buddy! I have exchanged a few emails with Bryan recently, but they we're a bit more focused on other things... With all of the things he's going through (hell, all the things we're all going through), I don't want to be too bothersome to him. But at the same time, still trying to complete the new kit and get it out.

Is anyone willing to part with their much beloved 23lb'er? LOL

As an alternative, I may end up going with the OMS 27#, but oooooh I really really want the VDH 23 (or 18).... Bryan, take my money!!! :rofl3:

My son got the VDH 18 and I got the Deep 6 20. I like both quite a bit. But that 18lb VDH bladder is sexy as hell. Well, sexy in a classic sense. More Banana Republic than Gucci. Elegant, functional, smart looking. No flash. Spot on.

And no, his is not for sale, so I'm really providing no benefit here. Sorry.

My son got the VDH 18 and I got the Deep 6 20. I like both quite a bit. But that 18lb VDH bladder is sexy as hell. Well, sexy in a classic sense. More Banana Republic than Gucci. Elegant, functional, smart looking. No flash. Spot on.

And no, his is not for sale, so I'm really providing no benefit here. Sorry.

Hahaha, Totally! That's why I'm pacing and drooling for the VDH wing, haha. I can hold out a bit longer, but not by much.

The Deep 6 20#'er looks pretty nice too, would you say it's close in size to the VDH?

One of the biggest benefits of the VDH wings, IMO, is the standardized parts (elbow, corrugated, inflator assembly), the gusset bungee, and the fabric of the shell... About 25% of my diving is wrecks and swim-throughs... Don't get me wrong my buoyancy is good and I'm not bouncing off of things, but I'm quite removed from reliable manufacturer support (in Philippines), so as much standardization and durability as possible is a major factor in my mind.

The Deep 6 20#'er looks pretty nice too, would you say it's close in size to the VDH?

The Deep 6 wing is noticeably larger, but only because the VDH is so compact. The D6 is by no means large. I would guess that it is simply a normal size for that capacity. The biggest difference is the length of the wings. The VDH is about 3 to 4 inches longer than a Freedom plate. The D6 is probably 6 to 8. They are fairly comparable width wise.

You can see the size difference in the third and last pictures here.

I haven't had ours long enough to comment on durability but plenty of folks here on SB have put them through the ringer. Both come highly regarded.

@txgoose (I won't quote the whole message just for space) Nice nice nice, great information buddy! I'm putting whichever wing on a standard SS plate, but that does show a great angle regarding the general length. I gotta say, at this point, I'm still on the VDH side of my internal debate, but I do believe the Deep 6 is the next best (above the OMS). There's only one other consideration for me regarding the Deep 6 vs OMS, and that is, OMS is available out here, but at a rate of 140% the cost of State-side. That does mean that there's at least some support the OMS here, but it does come at a premium.

I plan to send an email to OMS asking this, but before I do, can anyone confirm if the elbows on OMS (or Deep 6) are standard elbows? I'm confident that inflators and corrugated can (likely) be interchangeable, but often times the Elbow at the bladder cannot.... Anybody?

Edit to add: The Deep 6 matches my wetsuit, but the OMS Red matches my harness.... not that either are a big consideration, just throwing it out there because it's late and I just returned from some much needed "billiards therapy" .... :rofl3:

I love (and cherish) my VDH wings... (I have 2 - 18# & a 23#)

If you can't wait, the next closest ones would be the OxyCheq MachV (good but $$) and the "new" DGX (Gears S1 - but only in 30#).... these are all very similar.

I also have the Deep6 (both sizes), but don't care for the shape (purely personal), but it is different from the VDH. It is good, but not to my liking.

I'd hold out if you can......

I love (and cherish) my VDH wings... (I have 2 - 18# & a 23#)

If you can't wait, the next closest ones would be the OxyCheq MachV (good but $$) and the "new" DGX (Gears S1 - but only in 30#).... these are all very similar.

I also have the Deep6 (both sizes), but don't care for the shape (purely personal), but it is different from the VDH. It is good, but not to my liking.

I'd hold out if you can......

Thank you RH, I really appreciate that... It very much validates my nagging feeling.

I'm sure that the Deep 6 wing is very nice, but based on the pictures, it does looks like more of a "wider", flat wing, than I am looking for. Maybe @txgoose can chime in on this, but based purely on the pictures, it looks like the Deep 6, when uninflated (or under inflated) will have a tendency to taco around the cylinder.... Where as (as I understand) the VDH will hold some of its shape and sort of "fill the gap" between the cylinder and BP..... I guess even if those conditions are true, I'm not 100% which would be better, but I'm trying to get away from "floppy". My current setup is an AL Outlaw, which don't get me wrong, is a wonderful BC, but I'm tired of the larger wing and the PITA it is to clean. So the Outlaw setup is going to my wife (with a small back assembly and 12lb wing instead of the larger), and I am getting the upgrade. At least when we travel, we will be able to pack both BCs and still be under weight for the airlines (domestic, between islands in PH).

I do like the OxyCheq products, they're fantastic! But they're spendy.... Don't get me wrong, I am a value based consumer, I'm ok with paying a bit more for quality and all that, but in full disclosure, the Gov't is paying for this setup from the COV stim package..... :rofl3: (I mean, heck, I'm in PH.... 50:1)

I can throw in my opinion on DGX S1. It's super narrow. it's barely wider than the backplate, but it's tall. So it wars much compact than other 30lbs wings, to the extent it looks and feels like a much narrower wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom