Wanted WTB - Titanium Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

69_BAR

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m in search of the elusive halcyon titanium backplate. Also interested in a Ti plate from helium. Let me know if you have you you are looking to part with.

People buy Ti is mostly for owning titanium. It is never a cost effective metal to use for diving.
People make assertions about motives and effectiveness mostly without data to back it up.
Helium's stainless steel backplate is $189; their titanium one is $239. The difference is $50 - in the cost of a full hogarthian setup, that's probably less than the premium most people spend just to avoid driving across town to a dive shop with better prices. There are probably any number of backplates where buying them from the LDS will cost more than $50 above the online price.

People make assertions about motives and effectiveness mostly without data to back it up.
Helium's stainless steel backplate is $189; their titanium one is $239. The difference is $50 - in the cost of a full hogarthian setup, that's probably less than the premium most people spend just to avoid driving across town to a dive shop with better prices. There are probably any number of backplates where buying them from the LDS will cost more than $50 above the online price.
And what does it functionally offer that AL or SS does not?

Enhanced corrosion resistance, it's lighter/thinner, and Helium CNC radiuses ALL the slot edges which means your webbing lasts longer.

I've spent enough on sacrificial anodes for stern drives over the years not to trust aluminum's standalone corrosion resistance.

Enhanced corrosion resistance, it's lighter/thinner, and Helium CNC radiuses ALL the slot edges which means your webbing lasts longer.

I've spent enough on sacrificial anodes for stern drives over the years not to trust aluminum's standalone corrosion resistance.
Mind showing images of a failed backplate? AL or SS your pick. I put anodes on ali tanks that are going to be living in the water for a couple weeks or longer, but to pretend there’s a benefit for a plate is a bit of a stretch (assuming slots are appropriately burred).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom