WTB: Olympus PT-030/Ikelite for SP-350 Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike! So sorry about the camera gods..At least you are up and running again....

scubamgb...Cool!!! The activity is sooooo adictive....I cut off the lens cover, didn't want to chance it and I have the Inon WA lens so don't need it with the bayonet mount.
The best this to do is establish a routine with your housing..Go out and get some disposable foam eye makeup applicators, eyeglass cleaning wipes, (not the wet kind), a small flashlight, and a magnifying glass, (mine has a built in light). You will also need a bottle of food grade silicone. I got mine in the (McNett's silicone spray) in the food department of my favorite camping supply store. You know where they sell dried camping foods and meat slicers & sausage stuffing tools (LOL) Gander Mountain, and a dental syringe. You don't need this right away, though but you should use the silicone spray in the control buttons. Moisture munchers are a must!!
Take camera and make sure the battery is fully charged, and the xd card is inserted correctly and set it aside.
These are my steps, I try to do it the night before or since I don't sleep late really early:

I put a clean lint free cloth on the counter top and lock my cat out of the room...(He likes to help).
1. Open the housing and remove the O ring. I run warm water over it look it over on my clean wet hand for contaniments with the magnifying glass & flashlight, I found there are always dark spots on the ring that look like things that could cause a leak but don't. Know your O ring.....then I hang it on my cleaned faucet, (lucklily it curves at the right angle).
2. With the magnifying glass and the flashlight I inspect the O ring groove on both side of the housing for garbage.
3. Take a dampened eye make up applicator and run it around the groove where the O ring sits. I look the applicator over after I swipe the groove for anything that would be a problem. I then run it over the flat side of the housing with a eye glass cleaning cloth wrapped around it.
4. Look over the housing with the Magnifying glass & flashlight again (both sides)
5. Put a small dot of Olympus silicone grease on your finger tip and thumb, rub fingers together to spread the grease. Run the O ring between your fingers and thumb, gently pulling it, try not to stretch it.
6. Place the O ring in the housing, starting at the hinge side and smooth it towards the lock side. After seating it, I wipe my hands and get (you guessed it) the magnifying glass and flashlight and go over the seated O ring very carefully again, and again. (OK I am paranoid)
7. Lifting the knob that controls the wheel on the top of the camera, I slide the camera into the housing, Make sure it it seated correctly on the pegs inside the housing or the lens will jam as it tries to open.
8. Slide in a new moisture muncher underneath the camera body. I trim off a little of the packet to make it fit better.
9. Repeat step 4, twice.....look for hair, or fuzz or sand.....
10. Carefully close the housing and latch both locks.
11. Take the Magnifying glass and flashlight and follow the sealed housing around where the O ring is to make sure you don't see anything out of place
12. Say a prayer and fill the sink up with water and slowly sink the house looking a for bubbles. (It is normal to see a few small bubbles from the hinges & control buttons.) Pull it out after a couple of minutes and check for water in the housing. If you don't see any water leave it in the sink for an hour, then come back & check it.
Right before my 1st dive I place the housing in the camera dunk bucket just to be sure...Do not open between dives..(right Mike?). A good CRV will last 2 + dives....
Wow am I long winded.....OK I have now officially jinxed myself.....Good luck and have fun!!!!

CheddarChick - what can I say...you are awesome! Thank you so much for the check list routine for any UW housing. What a brilliant idea to use disposable foam eye make applicators to clean in the tiny creases of the casing. Gotta love all the tips and tricks you can get from the SB forums. I hope you have not jinxed yourself - would hate to see another camera system go down. Thanks for sending some good luck vibes my way - will need them! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom