WTB: Digital Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

briank92587

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a digital camera and have a budget of about $500. I'm brand new at this so I want a camera that I don't have to do a lot of adjustments and tinkering to get half decent pictures. I have been looking at Sea Life DC500 and Olympus Stylus 500 because I'm told they are simple to use and come with setups to view on pcs and tv. Any help would be appreciated.

My husband has an Olympus 5060 and I have a DC500. One big thing to consider is customer service. When my DC310 flooded, Sealife replaced it. When his first Olympus 5060 took a drink, Olympus told him "Sorry, diver error" This was, of course, without them ever having seen the housing. If you have a local Sealife Reefmaster dealer, I would suggest buying from them instead of buying online. That way you have someone nearby who can help if you have questions etc. The prices will be that same no matter where you buy the unit. Some of the big guys aren't interested in helping you as soon as they run your credit card through......

Have a look around the board for similar discussions as there is a lot of information in there.

Also keep in mind that you are likely to NOT use a Sealife camera on land so much, but a "regular" digital camera in a housing is likely to get used all the time. Even I don't spend enough time underwater to justify a camera that only gets used while diving :)

And the more you use your camera, even on land, the better your photos overall are going to be.

I think that if you were to look at the DC500's internal camera, you would be pleasantly surprised. It is much nicer and with more land features than those used in the DC310. I would agree with your above statement concerning it. That one is really just for diving. The DC500 takes great land pictures, has a decent zoom and it small enough to drop in your pocket or purse.

I have the DC500, and although its my first camera, I found it pretty easy to use. The pics it took were good enough for me, and in the low vis water, they came out pretty well. I've taken tons of "land" pics with it, and the pics are great.

I have been looking into purchasing a quality camera and housing as well. I recently watched Oly C-3040 3.2 MP and PT-010 housing go for $202.50 on ebay!!
I have read others on the board combine comon compatible components, cameras and housings fron different sources. I have a digital that I like, but adding a housing ($300) and strobe strobe ($200) or so makes a package expensive!

Result - Sealife SL-560 Pro set $180 with shipping via ebay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom