WTB Camera Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tin Fin

New
Reaction score
I am wanting to get a camera housing. If anyone has a housing for any of the following cameras, I will be interested in talking about a price; new or used, doesn't matter to me except that I'm a laborer and have to build things like this into my budget.

Cameras I have:
Film - Pentax k1000 - I have a 50mm, a 20-80mm zoom, and a 135mm lens for this. Any one or combination of those ports would be needed. I don't mind shooting film sometimes, but want to use a digital as the main diving camera. Finding a housing for something like this is almost impossible so far. I know, I know "who shoots film anymore?" Well, I like film, but for underwater, digital is the way to go; but if I have to use film for it, then I will.

Nikon D40X digital - I have two lenses for this; the 18-55mm, and the 55-200mm
Kodak something or other point-and-shoot that my brother has right now - this would be better than nothing to use. Don't have model number with me right now, but can post it when I talk with him.

I'm not against getting a camera with housing if someone has one for sale - I work full time, and go to school part time pretty much all year long; took this summer off from school though. So, money has to go to school first. If anyone can help me out here, please let me know. As for budget, I haven't made one for this just yet, but I could swing a few hundred bucks pretty quick without too much trouble. Getting into a new housing for a d40x, that would take a few paychecks to save from toward.

Thanks much,

Tim

The Pentax is pretty old. Maybe you could find something used on eBay. Ikelite probably made a housing for it. It would need to be specifically for it since the controls have to match up.

IDK anything about D40 housings except they're probably more than the camera was - that's pretty typical with housed DSLR's.

You might look at buying/housing one of the less expensive point/shoot cameras made by Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus etc. Some of those can be as cheap as $250-350 for both - often the housing will have a depth limitation of 200' or less - but most still have full controls and access to the touch screen as needed. My buddy got a really good deal on last year's Canon model - 12MP P&S + the Canon housing for around $275 online. It does a nice job - better since he picked up an inexpensive external flash from Sea Life.

Places to look (new):

Adorama Camera
Backscatter Camera/Video
B&H Photo Video
Reef Photo
dozens more sites...

There's also specifically designed for underwater camera/housing combinations from companies like Intova and Sea Life. Ikelite also sells a complete line of P&S underwater housings - most are under $225 new. Among others, Adorama lists them.

You may want to review the various camera forums in our Underwater Photography section for more information. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/

If you find a aquatica d40 housing i have the zoom gear and extension for the 18-55mm lens. Excellent condition. I would like $200 plus shipping for the gear and extension

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom