WTB camera and strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ektess1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to purchase my first underwater camera. I am looking for a camera that has auto, full manual, and can save in raw format. It needs to be capable of using an external strobe in both auto and manual modes. The limiting factor is that my wife has me on a budget of $800 for everything. That includes lens, batteries, changers, etc. I don't care if it is new or used, and I am not loyal to a brand. Just want a camera with which I can be creative or lazy depending on my mood. Any suggestions are most welcome.
Thanks

The trick in those specs you are looking for is finding ine that will shoot raw. There are only a (ever decreasing) handfull of compact cameras that will do it - I assume you're looking for a compact based on your price range.

Firing a strobe is very easy with most modern strobes since they can optically slave off the camera's intenral flash. If you want a hardwired connection, then you'll need to find a camera with a hotshoe and a housing that supports it.

Most of the newer canon's can use a "hack" to let them shoot raw. If you are willing to use optically triggered strobes, and use the "hack", one of the most popular cameras on the board right now is the canon 570is with the canon housing. Up until recently the set (camera+housing) could be had for about $300, but it seems they are getting scarce.

If not, right now you're best bet is probably a Cannon G9 with the ikelite housing, but you'll end up going a bit over your budget.

Of previous generation cameras, all the talk was about the olympus sp350 - complete set of shooting modes (manual, auto, aperture & shutter priority), hothsoe + raw capability. You'd have to dig a bit to find one (you'll probably only find used or refrubished ones), but if you do, it should come in well under budget.

Most of the newer canon's can use a "hack" to let them shoot raw. If you are willing to use optically triggered strobes, and use the "hack", one of the most popular cameras on the board right now is the canon 570is with the canon housing. Up until recently the set (camera+housing) could be had for about $300, but it seems they are getting scarce.

If you're looking to setup a Canon A570 IS, here's a bit of info that might be useful:

Canon POWERSHOT A-570IS 7.1 MEGAPIXEL, IMAGE STABELIZED 4X OPTICAL/4X DIGITAL ZOOM, 2.5 INCH LCD SCREEN DIGITAL CAMERA - FSCTORY REFURB, Canon POWERSHOT A570IS, 1773B001

Canon WP-DC12 UNDERWATER HOUSING/CASE FOR POWERSHOT A-570IS DIGITAL CAMERA, Canon WPDC12, 1909B001

INON America - Product Catalog

INON America - Product Catalog

Those links show what you would need to set up the 570 for an Inon Strobe, and you could even get the AD Mount Inon Lenses to it as well. I actually used Inon's AD Mount Lenses (close-up, wide-angle & fisheye), as I used them on my previous Sony Camera setup - I still have them all as a backup to my current setup.

Just thought that information might help you make a more informed decision.

Adrian

Thanks for the help. The links were very helpful. I never thought about hacks to the camera's software to convert it to RAW. Do you know if there are any hacks for the Sealife cameras. The new DC 800 looks like it would meet my needs and budget.

Back
Top Bottom