WTB 5.5" Bands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajtoady

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking to buy a set of reasonably priced 5 1/2" stainless bands for a set of doubles. Please contact me iffin you have a set you wish to sell!

Time to fire up the welder my friend.....
I just may have to' the price for new is NUTS!! I thought I'd give this a whirl, and I did say reasonably priced! I do have a set of 7.25" that I would trade or even bastardize to fit! A little cutting and welding would be no problem!!

I was thinking in the $30-40 range is a fair price for used. I have bought used 7.25 and 8" band sets for less.

Tony, if you want to consider a DIY, IIRC, @AfterDark ( or maybe @lowviz ) had a pretty slick OMS ID mount that you might be able to fabricate something similar for the smaller tanks. He might be able to get you some pictures and measurements to scale one for the little tanks....

I've linked both of them on this message, and maybe they can chime in... I have pics somewhere, and will try to locate them also.

I know you are creative enough to fabricate and implement something similar....

upload_2016-9-6_10-13-2.png

For what it's worth, I found this while looking at cylinders on ebay. I know it's not the used ones you're looking for.
s-l96.jpg

STAINLESS STEEL A2 GRADE Scuba Diving Twin Cylinder Band Scuba Tank Bands
Cylinder Diameter: 140mm (5.55inch), Band Height/Width: 45mm (1.75inch), Cetre to Centre Distance: 162mm
$74.64
Qty:
Select a shipping service for STAINLESS STEEL A2 GRADE Scuba Diving Twin Cylinder Band Scuba Tank Bands
Standard Shipping from outside US
Est. delivery: Tue, Sep. 13–Thu, Sep. 22
$7.23
Expedited Shipping from outside US - $24.99
Est. delivery: Wed, Sep. 07–Fri, Sep. 09

Tony, if you want to consider a DIY, IIRC, @AfterDark ( or maybe @lowviz ) had a pretty slick OMS ID mount that you might be able to fabricate something similar for the smaller tanks. ...//...
You have a good memory. I made several sets of 2.5" wide bands for mostly 72's. Tons of use on them. I have all the custom band sets that I'll ever need at this point. I don't like hanging on to things that I'll never use again.

Leftovers:
Two 2.5" marine grade bands, good selection of stiffener bars, and my bending jig.

The trick is to bend one band for each cylinder around a smaller (than your cylinder) piece of PVC pipe. The metal springs out so you just have to keep looking for the magic size that gives you a good radius bend for your intended cylinder size. When perfect, the bent parts will be parallel when the band is tight on the cylinder. The fussy part is to get the second band to be parallel AND be at the same separation. It will become obvious when you start working it. The jig makes it possible. (The one shown works for 72's, but just change the PVC for a different cylinder.) When you finally have the two half-bands you chop saw them so that they overlap nicely. Cut a stiffener bar, drill everything. Mount, tighten, then TIG weld top and bottom. Somewhat amusing to see a ground clamp on a set of pressurized doubles. :wink:

Let me know the distance between your tanks (leave some room for adjustment either way)

I'll send you (PM me, Tony) those two bands, the bending jig, and drilled stiffeners for the price of shipping.

Attachments

• Band Clamps.jpg
    Band Clamps.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Bands and Stiffener.jpg
    Bands and Stiffener.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom