wrist vs. console computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Montana Tom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at buying gear and debating on a computer. Do I go for my basic set up with just gauges and add a wrist computer or get the console computer? looking at the Cressi 2 gauge imperial and Leonardo wrist or the cressi Leonardo console with compass.

I am a new diver OW certified. My wife and I are thinking just one computer as we aren't going o be going crazy with multiple dives in a day, but still think a computer might be a good option. we will be going to Bonaire for 5 weeks and think having the compass and computer would also be a good safety idea. we will be taking the shore dive class first thing as a refresher as well as learning shore dive safety and technique.

Not sure where to start. What did you and your wife use for your open water dives when you got certified?

I really like a wrist computer. You can take it anywhere, even if you are renting equipment. It's readily visible when you are ascending, even if you have your left hand on your inflator. If you dive with your hands out in front of you, you have a "dashboard" of gauge and compass, so that, just as when you are driving, you are never more than an eyeblink away from the information you need.

Re console vs. wrist mount:

Query -- what are the advantages of a console computer? I honestly can't think of one.

OTOH, I can come up with advantages of a wrist mount -- it is always readily available to read; if put on right arm, won't interfere with use of inflator/deflator (which is used on descent/ascent at a time when you should be checking your depth); is generally more "tidy"

Re one computer for a dive team (husband/wife buddy team) -- The "book" says -- One computer per diver and that IS the correct answer. HOWEVER, I have yet to hear someone actually give me a solid answer why a close buddy team can't safely dive one computer!!! YES, I know that someone may be lower than the other one -- BUT, hey, deco isn't any where near that precise!!! BUT, computers are (or at least can be) inexpensive and this is not something you want to "cheap out" -- so get a dive computer for each diver.

Get a compass each, put it into a DSS wrist mount and put it on your left wrist.

Get an SPG and clip it off to your left side.

Did I mention I see no benefit in consoles? (Oh, btw, I dive with a Suunto Cobra which is a console computer -- it is clipped off to my BCD and I pay no attention to it unless, and until, my wrist mount computer goes AWOL on me.)

Many new divers (including me when I was new) buy consoles then later switch to a wrist mount. I count the console computer and gauge set as one of my most expensive newbie gear mistakes.

One advantage to having it on your wrist is that it is an easy glance to check time, depth, ect. once you learn proper buoyancy and stop using your hands to swim (you may not already and that is great).

As others have pointed out, it is really nice to take your own dive computer with you even if you rent other gear.

I think you'll be glad you got a wrist mount if that is the decision you make.

Good luck.

Wrist !

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2, @ Tapatalk forum app.

The only disadvantage I have heard of with the wrist computer, is that it may get in the way or get banged up if you dive for lobster. I have never had a problem with my wrist computer and I dive for lobster frequently

the other day.. i saw a couple that had a wrist zoop tied to their spg...

their spg is the single console type.. which looks like below
yhst-14842708781123_2244_803370111.png

they bought the wrist one and after a while.. feels that having it at the console side was easier for them.. 1) to not forget.. 2) they has that kind of set up it in OWD/AOW.

humans are clever eh :)

The biggest problem I see with consoles is them dangling and dragging along beneath divers, along with the octo on the other side. Sure, both can be clipped neatly out of the way, but if the computer is on a wrist and the secondary reg is on a bungee around the divers neck, it's not even a potential problem.

Pros for console: When you check air, you can easily check computer; when you check computer you can easily check air; hard to forget to take
Cons for console: can get bashed up on boat and when diving

Pros for wrist: much easier to check; less likely to get bashed around on the boat
Cons for wrist: can forget to take on the dive (been there done that)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom