Wrist strap/lanyard for Hero3+?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkiDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm the proud owner of a new GoPro Hero3+ and I plan to take it diving next month. I'm starting simple, with just a filter (PolarPro Switchblade3+). No lights, mounts, etc., just handheld. I'll see how that goes and adjust from there if needed.

I'd like to secure the camera/housing around (but not mounted on) my wrist so I can use it in my hand but not lose it if I let go, and so I can let it dangle when not in use.

Any recommendations for an inexpensive or homebrewed wrist strap/lanyard? I think I have some 1/8" stretch shock cord that I can use, but that's probably too thick to fit between the hinges of the housing. Unless there's a easy way to clip and unclip it, I don't want to go through the mounting holes b/c I don't want to have to take it off every time I use a GoPro mount.

Any suggestions?

I'm the proud owner of a new GoPro Hero3+ and I plan to take it diving next month. I'm starting simple, with just a filter (PolarPro Switchblade3+). No lights, mounts, etc., just handheld. I'll see how that goes and adjust from there if needed.

I'd like to secure the camera/housing around (but not mounted on) my wrist so I can use it in my hand but not lose it if I let go, and so I can let it dangle when not in use.

Any recommendations for an inexpensive or homebrewed wrist strap/lanyard? I think I have some 1/8" stretch shock cord that I can use, but that's probably too thick to fit between the hinges of the housing. Unless there's a easy way to clip and unclip it, I don't want to go through the mounting holes b/c I don't want to have to take it off every time I use a GoPro mount.

Any suggestions?

1/8" shock cord would work. Most people will be better served with some kind of handle or mount, even a simple one. Holding the camera still is essential for good steady video, and the smaller the camera the harder that is. A comfortable handle will be an improvement over hand holding the camera.

We offer this inexpensive handle (you would not be using the lights or their mounts.. just the handle and base.. the wrist loop is included..

AR15 Go Pro Handle

mar15h_053blk_dtl.jpg

Thanks, MAKO. That looks pretty cool. I have the GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, Surf package: HERO3+ Black Edition Surf

Would I need to get the tripod mount, or just the base unit?

Ouch, just saw the shipping charges. $9.35 to my location.

Thanks, MAKO. That looks pretty cool. I have the GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, Surf package: HERO3+ Black Edition Surf

Would I need to get the tripod mount, or just the base unit?

Ouch, just saw the shipping charges. $9.35 to my location.

Yes you would need a tripod mount, since it doesn't look like you have one already. The tripod mount is very versatile.

Here is a picture of my diy lanyard for Intova base plate

fr_424.jpg

Materials bought from Home Depot

1. Brass Swivel Eye Snap $2.48
2. 4" 40pc Cable Ties $2.38
3. 1/8" Paracord $2.97

Way cheaper than those coiled/retractable lanyards.

I'm also in the market for a good lanyard option. I'm not interested right now in making my own....I'm too much of a procrastinator to actually do it before my next dive. Question about the AR-15 handle posted above.....any trouble traveling through airports with that? I don't feel like getting pulled aside at every security gate when I fly.

I'm also in the market for a good lanyard option. I'm not interested right now in making my own....I'm too much of a procrastinator to actually do it before my next dive. Question about the AR-15 handle posted above.....any trouble traveling through airports with that? I don't feel like getting pulled aside at every security gate when I fly.

we've not heard of any problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom