wrist/hand mirror?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novasquid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Mirrors are mirrors. You could always go down to autozone, get a cheap one, and strap it on yourself. I can't say there'd be an immediate downside, but it isn't something I'd use. The downside comes further along when it gets smacked and then there's broken glass on the deck of the dive boat. That's not a great way to make friends.

The astronauts actually use the wrist mirror to see the Displays and Control Module strapped to their chest.
You can just spin yourself around. If you really must, buy a signal mirror and some shock cord from West Marine and fashion your own.

Emu_spacesuit_control_module.jpg

You'll notice how most of the wording is written backwards or "mirrored"

Mirrored acrylic from Tap Plastic might do the trick.

I've been diving with several cameras lately and can't always tell if they are on so have been toying with the idea of adding a mirror to one of my strobe arms aimed to see the indicator lights.

Lets reinvent the wheel ...

A diver mirror was introduced to the diving world by San Diego, California based diving accessory company "Aqua Craft" in the very early 1970s - 40 plus years ago actually 43 years ago to be exact- as the "Buddy Mirror" part number A-192.

It had a strong resemblances to Amazon.com: Caravoo Baby Watching Wrist Mirror (baby blue): Baby . It also was wrist mounted and featured an unbreakable and non-tarnishing mirror surface.

It was not well received by the divers of that era and soon disappeared from the market place as did Aqua Craft.

SDM

Lets reinvent the wheel ...

Sam

You have to go back a lot farther than that. Heavy gear divers have been known to carry a piece of highly polished stainless steel to use as a mirror well before WWI. Imagine peering out through three small ports soldered into a copper dome bolted to your shoulders and trying to salvage a ship.

SeibeHat.jpg

Positioning yourself head-down to get a view wasn’t an option because your suit would inflate and you would be spread-eagle on the surface in a few seconds. Besides, suits leaked and usually had a few gallons of water soaking your woolies. That could drown you if rocketing to the surface didn’t kill you first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom