wrist band or headband?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

styleza

New
Reaction score
hey guys!

the 14.2.1 I'm going to Thailand for diving :) I've ordered the GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, but actually I'm not sure how it's the best for filming: should i wear the cam with a wrist band or a head band? How do you do that? And do I need any filters?

Thx for answering!!

Make sure it is attached securely. I found my go pro in 50 feet on the go pro head strap.(thanks go pro)
I use the Ikelite steady tray with handle and a wrist strap so it can not go missing. A buddy uses a pole and loves it also with wrist strap. I recommend the filters for ambient light.

I like the headband IF its not your primary. I took a string tied it to the back of the headband and then clip it to my BCD incase it is knocked off. I use the head mount as more of a traffic cam. Sometimes it gets good shots. Most of it gets tossed. When you are in a vertical position, bubbles tend to be an issue. The nice thing is that what you look at is what you record. IF you remember to push the button to start recording. Because its on you head you cant see the flashing light. I have a great recording of the camera barrel because I pushed the button to stop recording when I got back on the boat not realizing I had forgot to start recording in the first place.

The wrist mount is good and I am eager to try using my iPhone as the viewfinder with an iPhone housing. I just find it hard to keep real steady.

My daughter used a pole, but be careful of the speed you move the pole at. Vertigo Video sessions can ensue.

A tray with lights would probably yield the best results

A wrist mount will likely give you steadier video than a head mount but the problem is finding a good one. The official one from GoPro doesn't point in a proper orientation for diving unless all you want is selfies. There is a nice hand mount out there which rotates 360 degrees so you could get the camera pointed in the right direction but it runs $130. Most people just resort to their own ingenuity to come up with something workable yet economical.

get a set of dual handgrips from backscatter.com by far the best way to ensure you have steady footage. Poles add a nice alternative viewpoint if you're making a video over a number of dives too but are not as steady as dual grip

I use a pole. I used my wrist strap on one dive and the video was a mess. The pole works much better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use the headband and it's fine security wise. Just wear the GoPro headband, then pull the mask strap over the headband. It's not coming off that way.

However, using a headband makes the video jerky when you turn your head. I'm fine with that, but if you aren't, you might want to use a pole.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom