Wringing out or squeezing out your wetsuit - bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juardis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been practicing a lot lately in a chlorinated pool. After my pool session, I have to leave pretty quickly so my wetsuit is generally dripping wet from getting it soaked good in the shower. To reduce the amount of water that leaks into the trunk of my car, I've been wringing out or squeezing out the water prior to stuffing into my gear bag. But it's occurred to me that this might not be a good idea. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Get a plastic storage tub, throw everything wet into it after pool session. When you get home: inside out the suit, dry it outside in the shade if possible, rightside it and finish drying. Otherwise over the shower-rod or on a hanger somewhere with the same plastic tub under it. Don't wring it out, twisting or pulling the seams is not so good.

Dry the inside of the suit first, makes it easier to get on if you have to use it the next day...

Get a plastic storage tub, throw everything wet into it after pool session. When you get home: inside out the suit, dry it outside in the shade if possible, rightside it and finish drying. Otherwise over the shower-rod or on a hanger somewhere with the same plastic tub under it. Don't wring it out, twisting or pulling the seams is not so good.

Dry the inside of the suit first, makes it easier to get on if you have to use it the next day...
excellent. didn't know about the inside out part. I had thought that by maybe squeezing (instead of wringing) might be better so I started doing that, but then I thought maybe I'm ruining the buoyancy capability by inadvertently squeezing out the air pockets, like milking a cow if you will. That was the main thrust of my question.

The pressure on the suit from diving is probably greater than the pressure from you squeezing out the excess water from it. Also leaving all the water in the suit puts more stress on the shoulders when you hang it. I vote for the light squeeze.

I wouldn't see any harm in a light squeeze but I certainly wouldn't wring it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom