Wrecks in Costa Rica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

needforspeed751

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey folks, just wanted to see if anyone knows of any cool ship wrecks offshore. I'm heading there this summer as a poor college student I probably won't easily be able to charter a boat to get too far out, so I wanted to know if there was anything fairly close to land.

Thanks!
Mike

Hi Mike,
I work as a divemaster in Playas del Coco and I only know of two wrecks in the area, both under 40ft long, sunken sail and fishing boats. They can be pretty interesting if the weather is warm there are sometimes groupers and sharks near and inside them. Both require boat access and have rock formations nearby that can be dived in the same dive. The dive sites are called Tortugas and Meros.

However for me personally, diving in Costa Rica is not about wrecks, it´s about the fish. Big fish, Big schools of fish, Big rays, big sharks, fish with big teeth etc. The Marine life is really rich here, and if you are coming in the summer then it´s the ideal time to go diving, as this is when there is the calmest oceans and the best vis (generally the visibility is not like thailand or the carribean here as the water if full of plankton, but at least this brings loads of life).

Costa rica diving is fairly expensive, but definitely the best way to access the dive sites is to join a trip with a dive centre. Where I work (Summer Salt Dive Centre) charges $80 for a two tank boat excursion, without equipment ($100 inc, equipment). I also reccomend the Catalina Islands and the Bat Islands for encounters with big rays and bull sharks.

Check out our website for more info and don´t hesitate to contact us
Pura Vida
Yasmin
Welcome to Summer Salt Dive Center in Playas des Coco, Costa Rica | Summer Salt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom