Wreckage from the USS Indianapolis was discovered

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlier

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
The wreckage of the USS Indianapolis was discovered on 18 August by the expedition crew on the Paul G. Allen’s Research Vessel (R/V) Petrel. At 5500m below the surface on the sea floor of the north Pacific.

See link, Wreckage From USS Indianapolis Located In Philippine Sea | Paul Allen

New observations from Dr. Richard Hulver, historian with the Naval History and Heritage Command led to a better constrained search area to the west of the original presumed position within 600 sq miles of open ocean. Using an AUV for a pre-programmed search, the team identified seafloor anomalies. Post-processing the AUV data allowed an ROV to identify the wreckage on the seafloor. Photographs will be posted later.

Although 1,196 sailors and Marines survived the initial strikes and sinking, only 316 men survived. It was a great loss to the families and our nation.

Last edited:
It's about time. 4 expeditions have tried and failed to locate the Indianapolis in the past 30 years. I hope some vets will find some closure with their vessel being found.

What happened to that ship's crew is one of the saddest, heart wrenching stories of WWII:(

Despite the wreck being a mangled mess, I can't believe the fantastic condition of the wreckage, it looks just a few years old if even that in many of the pics.
I'm not sure if its the conditions down there or just a testament to sailors doing a spectacular job maintaining the paint on the ship.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom