Wreck Specialty at Master Divers, Koh Tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

currier

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It has been nearly a month since returning from my latest Thai trip, so I'd now like to take the time to share with you, SB members, a brief report comprised of pleasant memories made with Master Divers on Koh Tao.

Ayesha is an active member here, and it was this site through which I first learned of Master Divers. She answered all of my questions regarding the type of diving I would like to conduct during my stay - PADI Wreck Specialty on the HTMS Sattakut, a 49m landing craft sunk near Hin Pee Wee to a depth of approx. 30m within the past 9 months. I'd visited Tao twice in the past, have dived with other operators, and enjoyed and extensively explored most of the sites that the island offers. This trip would be shorter than previous ones ... also, my time would be shared between the sea and my non-diving fiancée. I had only a few days to dive, so my selection of shop and itinerary required forethought.
HTMS-Sattakut-2.jpg NOT my photo - but from Sea Explorers Club Koh Tao
Hats off to staff in the shop for their welcome! Specifically Phill, Rachel, and Charlotte, who made me feel right at home DESPITE my late arrival of one day, tardiness that subsequently upset training schedules of instructors. Sorry, guys! Well, we completed the paperwork, Rachel gave me an earful about not having divers insurance (I know, I know!!), and we decided on my starting time. Turns out I would commence the course alone with Martin that afternoon. Super!

I made an attempt to complete the book in an hour and a half - I did, honestly - but I didn't quite make it to the end. No worries, Martin covered all topics in his lesson. We sat at a table in the shop for about three or three and a half hours and went over everything from legal concerns, equipment selection, safety issues, assessment criteria, penetration procedures, rec limits, etc., etc. before concluding for the day. In hindsight I should have borrowed a book for a day or two from my LDS to peruse the reading beforehand, but like I mentioned - Martin was thorough!

The next morning we conducted dive one. I'd been dreaming of a boat like the Sattakut for more than two years - since OW certification! I'm a second generation diver, and it was tales from my father of Great Lakes, St. Lawrence, and Tobermory wrecks and penetrations that motivated me toward this sort of diving rather than, say, photography. I've long awaited my first descent onto a deck, around the perimeter of a hull, into a wheelhouse, or through dark passageways and living quarters.
Dive one was perfect! The viz. was an exceptional 15m, and we explored the entirety of her exterior marking depths, hazards, and points of interest on our slates. The Sattakut is an ideal starter wreck put down at an ideal depth. She has portholes into which to peer, exterior stairwells to climb up and down, a pleasant swim through the tower, and she maintained her bow and stern guns, a must see for anyone down on her.

Dive two later that afternoon was a different story. I recorded 1m viz. in my logbook, but I think this was generous. Our task on this dive was to locate and record on my slate possible entries and exits. Well, I was fortunate that my instructor was experienced with the site since I was more likely to frog kick face first into a stairwell than find a doorway on my own.

Dive three took place the next morning. We were to relocate the possible entries and exits, inspect for places onto which to secure our penetration lines, and run our line along an exterior length entry-exit. Fortunately the scuba gods took favor on us - 15m viz. and not another soul on the site! I truly enjoyed these exercises, and once completed, we explored around a bit until our NDL forced us topside.

Dive four was to be conducted that afternoon. We were to perform two penetrations, the first going from the central wheel house downstairs and up toward the bow, and the second from the wheel house inside through the corridor and out toward the stern.

We exercised a few considerations for this dive ...
1) torches and back-ups
2) EANx32
3) pony bottle.

We descended on her, and encountered the same low viz. as the previous afternoon. One literally had to be on the deck to see it. Martin led us to the first entry, the stairwell that would take us below deck, but I felt a bit anxious to continue. I indicated my concern, and he suggested we complete the upper deck penetration first to see how things went. He led, I followed, and it was over before I knew it. I felt some embarrassment from my initial hesitation, and agreed to follow him back through and retrieve our line for us.

We were left with alotta enriched air, lotsa NDL, and a dark, taunting stairwell. Some things were going through my head at this point ...
1) What else are we going to do down here? We can't see a thing!
2) I paid money to do this!
3) What would my father say?!?

I realized I had nothing to fear save for harboring a regret for years to come, so I indicated to Martin that we should do the second penetration. He made a blasé gesture to the suggestion, but I wanted to make it clear - no, no, I'll be the reel diver this time, let's go!

The descent down the stairs was an eery one - it was nearly dark excepting a bit of dull light from afar. It didn't have the "closed-in" feeling that I had anticipated, on the contrary I felt quite free with enough space in which to move around. The corridor was shorter than the last, and it opened up into a room that enabled divers to venture off to the left slightly (another very small room?). I was laying my line on my left hand side, and I knew not to go that way, but I HAD to take a peek before continuing slightly to the right, straight up, and out.

By this point I was filled with adrenaline, sense of completion, and excitement for the upcoming - since we had to go back down again to retrieve our line. Afterward Martin and I took a look at the wheel house again, then continued to the bow gun where I shot at a few fish before being frightened off for the day by NDL.
HTMS-Sattakut-1.jpg NOT my photo - but from CSI: Samui
Our long tail ride back was quieter than expected, but Martin said it all when he told me "That's what makes it all worthwhile - seeing customers smile like that" (or something thereabouts).

In short, this shop and crew truly raise the bar when it comes to hospitality, safety, and all-around professional dive op standards. Well done, Master Divers! The one regret that I took home with me was that I was able to dive with you but a few days ...

We were left with alotta enriched air, lotsa NDL, and a dark, taunting stairwell. Some things were going through my head at this point ...
1) What else are we going to do down here? We can't see a thing!

The descent down the stairs was an eery one - it was nearly dark excepting a bit of dull light from afar. It didn't have the "closed-in" feeling that I had anticipated, on the contrary I felt quite free with enough space in which to move around. The corridor was shorter than the last, and it opened up into a room that enabled divers to venture off to the left slightly (another very small room?). I was laying my line on my left hand side, and I knew not to go that way, but I HAD to take a peek before continuing slightly to the right, straight up, and out.

Hats off to MD for running a good course on the new wreck.

Some concern though....

PADI Wreck Instructor Manual:
Penetration-training dives are to be limited to within the light zone and within 40 metres/130 feet from the surface, vertical and horizontal distance included. No out-of-air drills are to be practiced in the overhead environment. After the training dives, student divers are required to log their dives in their personal log books.

Wreck penetration limits. The overhead environment poses three limits beyond the normal open water constraints of depth, air supply and no-decompression limits.

1. Edge of light zone — You should never penetrate a wreck past the point where you can see the natural light of the entrance.
For this reason, you do not make penetration dives at night or in water so deep and murky that there is little or no natural light visible from inside the wreck.

PADI:
The light zone of a cave is defined as that part of the cave from which natural light illuminating the entrance is visible at all times.

Your description makes it sound as though you far exceeded the 'light zone' - which is a common standard, not just for PADI, but virtually all recreational overhead diving courses.

Possibly too much poetic licence on my part ...
I understand the necessary limitations in recreational penetrations regarding the light-zone ... in my opinion, light from the entrance and exit should be visible at all times on THIS lower deck corridor on most days (but hey, I was only in there on one dive).

Granted, the viz. on this dive was bad ... this likely caused the ambient light to be diffused more so than normal. Your stated concerns are valid ones, Andy! But I don't believe my instructor and I were really fudging the line so much regarding PADI's (and those of common sense) recreational limitations regarding overhead environments.

It isn't the 'light' being visible... it's the exit being visible (through external ambient light shining through it). You need to see the exit - directly and clearly.

Turn a corner, descend a stairwell... it can still be light... but if you can't see the exit, you aren't in the 'light zone'.

Reductions in ambient light (overcast/bad viz etc) reduce the penetration. It doesn't matter what the 'normal' penetration route is.... you tailor your penetration to meet the conditions you are presented with on the day.

The Sattakut is a very new wreck - so silting probably isn't an issue yet. But on any other wreck, you're gonna assume that there will be some degradation in viz due to your penetration. If ambient light is touch-and-go before you enter... then you've gotta plan for it to quickly become no-go once you penetrate. Pro-active consideration - no penetration.

In all honesty... the PADI wreck course is nothing more than a brief intro to wreck penetration. IMHO, a prudent course outcome is merely to deter students from generally entering wrecks, rather than fostering an assumption that they are 'qualified' to do so. If/when you ever get to enjoy some advanced wreck training, it'll be abundantly clear just what the dangers are... and how many assumptions you make about your ability to get clear of a no-viz overhead.

light-zone.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom