Wreck rediscovered in Kingston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh boy, getting grief for posting a wreck discovery. Just how low are we going to sink here. I think the point is that either this wreck or its location were not well known. It was found by chance, dove, identified, moored, and the location given out the general public. Whats the problem?

Not sure how the mooring was done, as I'm half way around the world right now, and will be for the next 8 months or so. I was asked to make the post as general info and to try and avoid any controversy. Guess that didn't quite work out.

BOY! People have thin skin here...........

It just seemed funny to me to find a "new wreck" that has been dove thousands of times.

It is great that the guys put a line in it Thanks again.

Would you not think if kind of funny if a wreck that you had dove and had taken many divers on was "rediscovered"................... Like we lost it somewere along the line or someone moved it without us knowing..........LOL

I think what Kingston needs is a wreck list at POW or at the Marine musuem something where it can be accessed by everyone and promote Kingston diving. Since I think it really comes down to communication and making sure everyone knows where everything is. I am hoping with the price of side scan coming down that many more wrecks will be found in the area.

this arguement should not be happening in my opinion not that i think anyone does listen to me. I know the wreck was visited my multiple charter opertors about 10 years ago when my father was first posted to kingston then seemed to have fallen off the map. I think if the dive community would get together and organize itself in Kingston everyone would be happier. That would mean people would have to let things go and that means everyone. Unfortunately i do not see that happening anytime soon. The positive is though Kingston has a lot of passionate people about life and diving that sometimes shows in different ways. I would say to anyone who has not dove in Kingston that they are missing out on a great diving destination and yes people have disagreements on the computer but that will not hinder you from diving here. I am not to aware of any place where you can dive in a unique wreck like the Munson and then on a war of 1812 british flagship. I think we should be happy that it was found/reminded where it is and that someone moored it too. Our club went out to it last wednesday and everyone had a great time on it.

Last edited:
Could everyone please try to refrain from all the arguing? It's making for a really unpleasant atmosphere in this forum.

Just came back from 3 dives in Lake Ontario. Water is at 60 on the Comet and Luci and a lot colder on the Munson. Just at NTD now stealing band width and it's quite busy. Maybe a new mooring tomorrow as well from what I understand.

How much colder on the Munson? 45ish?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

g'day boys... i have deleted a number of off topic posts as i felt they werent beneficial to the local diving community or this thread and ask you to play nice - or go diving

many thanks

Not thin skinned at all, however knowing the bad blood between you and some of those involved, and your mockery of the find and hint of sarcasm in your subsequent thanks, I find it hard to believe your appreciation is genuine.

So a wreck whose location was know by a few, but not the public, was found by some who didn't know, moored, and location released to the general public. For those who didn't know about this wreck, enjoy!

Only one person I don't really like in this area............... No bad blood I just think he's a donk.

Almost everyone else I like and respect. We have some great divers and dive sites here in Kingston. Lots of the wrecks are not moored and not known by the divers out side of this area.

Many of the "wrecks" are hulks that were towed out and scuttled 1n 1925 and again in the 30's. Kingston was the home of many of the old sailing ships and when bigger faster steam ships came along, many of the old sailing ships became worthless. Many ship owners stripped what they could sell and left the hulls tied up in Kingston and walked away from them.

The city of Kingston wanted the old ships gone so they hired a company to get rid of them. They again stripped off anything that could be used or sold then towed them out and sunk them. This happened to over 50 old hulks.

SO....... Yes there are lots of "wrecks" out in the waters of Kingston but many of them are not worth more that one or two dives. Most Charter boat Captains will not take people out to wrecks like that. As a good charter wants his or her customers to see the best Kingston has to offer.

.... edited by Almitywife .....

Maybe Tom Rutledge is Tom Marvolo Riddle.....................:eyebrow: Sorry could not resist.

Seriously though, you should be commended for all the effort in putting in the mooring ball. And anyone who makes fun of you for "re-discovering" is not behaving in the best concerns of your local dive community. Information should be shared. You have done a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom