Wreck rediscovered in Kingston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjones9527

Contributor
Reaction score
The shipwreck commonly referred to as the Lusitania has been rediscovered in Kingston by members of the GLUE Dive Club aboard the dive boat Seaducer. After locating a "blip" on the bottom sounder, as shot line was dropped for the divers to descend. On the bottom they discovered a scuttled steamer with a large boiler, 4 bladed prop, 6 foot rudder and lots of wreck to see. Length is approx 250 feet. Depth is 70 feet to the mud, with most of the dive at 60 feet. There were no visible mooring lines or anchor drags seen, however there is a fair amount of rock, which may have been used to help sink her.

After Captain Harold spoke to some of the old time divers in the area, the wreck was described perfectly, and identified as the one known as Lusitania (possibly due to the size).

This week Northern Tech Diver put together a mooring line, and with the help of GLUE, moored the wreck for all to enjoy. GPS location is n44 08 561 w76 37 079. Again the wreck has a mooring line, so there is no need for shot lines or anchors.

Enjoy!

LOL...... I rediscovered the Varona this week. Its a big boat on the bottom of the lake. N44'12.239 W76'31.578 Next week I'm going to rediscover the Mark 1 or even the Comet.

Thanks for the mooring line guys. It is great to see good work being done.

LOL...... I rediscovered the Varona this week. Its a big boat on the bottom of the lake. N44'12.239 W76'31.578 Next week I'm going to rediscover the Mark 1 or even the Comet.

Oh boy, getting grief for posting a wreck discovery. Just how low are we going to sink here. I think the point is that either this wreck or its location were not well known. It was found by chance, dove, identified, moored, and the location given out the general public. Whats the problem?

Not sure how the mooring was done, as I'm half way around the world right now, and will be for the next 8 months or so. I was asked to make the post as general info and to try and avoid any controversy. Guess that didn't quite work out.

Thanks for posting, jjones9527, it is interesting, and since I've never dived it, it's on the list.

Also, same question as scubacandd, how'd they do the mooring block?

Edit: nevermind about answering the mooring block question, maybe someone else will.

Take care over there.

Oh boy, getting grief for posting a wreck discovery. Just how low are we going to sink here. I think the point is that either this wreck or its location were not well known. It was found by chance, dove, identified, moored, and the location given out the general public. Whats the problem?

Not sure how the mooring was done, as I'm half way around the world right now, and will be for the next 8 months or so. I was asked to make the post as general info and to try and avoid any controversy. Guess that didn't quite work out.

Thank you. There are some of us who appreciate the information. Why is it that some ******* always has to take potshots whenever someone makes a comment around here? It's no wonder that nobody comes here anymore. I remember when there used to be some actual activity here but now people avoid this section like the plague. SB should just combine it with Northern Canada and be done with it.

Thank you. There are some of us who appreciate the information. Why is it that some ******* always has to take potshots whenever someone makes a comment around here?

I disagree about the potshot comment - I think the comment was made in jest and was not meant to be hurtful. Diverdude even thanked the group for the effort that went into putting the mooring line in place. However, with the past history that has occured in this dive community - I can appreciate why the OP questioned the comment but I think I'll look at it as a little bit of fun.

Also - to JJones, thankyou for your service to your country and stay safe.

I do think for most of us we should be diving more. I was reading OD and they said that the line is attached to the massive boilers on the wreck. I think it is great that it has been talked about. I do believe that Kingston really is a world class diving sport where we have three war of 1812 flagshihps here to more recent ones. We have some remarkable people that are part of the diving community too. It would be interesting to make a database and do research on all of the wrecks in the area. I know there are about 20 ish wrecks that can be moored and more out there. I would love to see and hear of more wrecks that people know of that are not moored.

Thank you for the GPS coordinettes JJones ,,We will try it out this summer, take care over there and keep safe.

Back
Top Bottom