Wreck of the Transpac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spt29970

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This is a fascinating wreck. In 1986 an inexperienced fishing boat captain turned across the path of oncoming freighter and was "t-boned". The boat sank with the loss of one life. What makes this wreck amazing is that the channel it sank in has extremely shear walls and drops to a depth of 1500 ft. The boat came to rest vertically on one of the walls with its stern perched on a small ledge at 275 ft. The wreck is beautifully intact with the bow at 115ft and the super structure jutting out into the channel. It is like something from an action adventure movie. Here is my dive buddy in front of the bow at a depth of around 125ft, and no we didn't go to the bottom of the wreck. :)

(click on the image for more details)

This is a fascinating wreck. In 1986 an inexperienced fishing boat captain turned across the path of oncoming freighter and was "t-boned". The boat sank with the loss of one life. What makes this wreck amazing is that the channel it sank in has extremely shear walls and drops to a depth of 1500 ft. The boat came to rest vertically on one of the walls with its stern perched on a small ledge at 275 ft. The wreck is beautifully intact with the bow at 115ft and the super structure jutting out into the channel. It is like something from an action adventure movie. Here is my dive buddy in front of the bow at a depth of around 125ft, and no we didn't go to the bottom of the wreck. :)

(click on the image for more details)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drsteve/2757506253/
Nice pic. Who did you go there with? I really want to dive that wreck.

Nice pic. Who did you go there with? I really want to dive that wreck.

Dan (from the Mamro) goes there.

When I tried looking up more info about this wreck, it was difficult. Google wanted to give me pages about wreck diving with Dive Rite gear. :)

:rofl3:I kept passing by this thread because I thought it was DIR until I finally noticed it was in the UW category.
Beautiful shot.

Here is an image of the wheelhouse. It is beautifully intact. All of the windows in the wheelhouse are still there. A little spit and polish and they would gleam like new (just kidding). (Click on the image for more details).

Dan (from the Mamro) goes there.
That's who I will probably go with. Mike Lever runs a good trip but I can't afford him. Dan's boat was not in Hardy this weekend do you know where he is based out of these days?

That's who I will probably go with. Mike Lever runs a good trip but I can't afford him. Dan's boat was not in Hardy this weekend do you know where he is based out of these days?

I'm not sure where he is right now. Sorry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom