Wreck of the Patriot, Marine Life in Stellwagen Bank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We had an awesome dive on the wreck of the F/V Patriot last Sunday. For those that have not been, the marine life (and visibility) in Stellwagen Bank rarely disappoints. While the Patriot is a small wreck (~60ft in length) the variety of marine life makes it a very popular dive.

All the usual suspects were out, walls of pollock, carpets of hake and sculpin. We also had two goosefish on the wreck. A few dogfish also (not in the video). Last August we had ~50 schooling dogfish on the wreck.

I was wondering if everyone with you was wearing dry suits, or is is possible to dive this site in a wetsuit?
It is possible to dive in a wetsuit, though I think it is crazy to do. I dove it last summer with a few people in wetsuits. In August it was still 42 on the bottom.

I was wondering if everyone with you was wearing dry suits, or is is possible to dive this site in a wetsuit?

I will echo what @kmurray719 said. It's possible. In fact there were 3 wetsuit divers on the boat. Two of them only did one dive because they were too chilled to do the second dive. It's about 41-43f on bottom. Some are more cold tolerant than others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom