Wreck of Lowrance event this morning...Any news?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ascending slower than the standard rate is similar to doing deep stops--they will both increase your on-gassing in the slower tissues. Ascending slowly on NDL dives has not been shown to have an adverse effect, but research on deep stops on decompression dives has shown that they are not the best course of action. If you do them, you are essentially adding to bottom time and requiring longer shallow decompression stops.
Indeed. My point is that for rebreather divers this is not much issue because we generally have enough resource. Just gets boring/cold. Slow ascent rates become a simple planning exercise for additional resource for the longer decompression and may well be safer in the long run (pun intended) by avoiding stress/loss of control.

The deep/shallow stop discussion is antiquated IMHO with the advent of rebreathers (due respect to Dr. Pyle), with runtime being a convenience factor rather than a survival/feasibility consideration with the more efficient equipment.

Here's a 200 foot (max depth of the Lowrance) dive for 20 minutes at 30 fpm and 15 fpm. The runtime difference is 10 minutes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220323-195124.png
    Screenshot_20220323-195124.png
    85.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20220323-195053.png
    Screenshot_20220323-195053.png
    85.6 KB · Views: 55
Interesting, thanks for the comments from both BoulderJohn and MissionMTB.

We've gotten a bit OT (my fault I think)....there never was a confirmed accident related to the OP was there? That would be a rare bit of good news, which is surely welcome in this particular forum.

Interesting, thanks for the comments from both BoulderJohn and MissionMTB.

We've gotten a bit OT (my fault I think)....there never was a confirmed accident related to the OP was there? That would be a rare bit of good news, which is surely welcome in this particular forum.

Don't believe so. Nothing has hit the news locally nor have any of us heard anything within the local community. I'm assuming it was thankfully a false alarm and that everything ended well. If so that is great news!

Back
Top Bottom