Wreck Numbers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks All! At least I'm not the only one.

Lowviz- I might owe you a doughnut.

-you owe me nuthin. What you do is to give the doughnut to some commercial guy/gal cleaning their boat and and ask if they hit anything off the charts recently. After some back-and-forth (if they even start talking to you) you might end up with an interesting number all your own. (and a bit less cash) After that, I'm betting that you won't be putting YOUR number up for all to use.

Have fun, enjoy the chase...

and now I'm REALLY going back to lurking

Bad No#s!
Good luck yes you need to work on finding sites, some dive shops,some operators may or may not share these prized no#s. It takes years to verify sites.
one thing don't use conversion no#s from Loran to GPS they in no way will get you on the site!
Some authors on wrecks our way the Great Lakes publish books ,sell them for big money! and have wreck site information and GPS no#s one author I leave unnamed has numbers that put you several miles on shore! for one site. not one of his numbers are any good or close!

A local dive boat operator Unnamed sells a worthless book at a once a year scuba show and I was laughed at years back for purchasing his useless book by other divers,I fixed him BIG TIME!

Dive clubs like ours publish some no#s but not all,,,
The State may have a site Wisconsin dose.
Nautical charts may have some on but will only get you close,,
its work,find them and then log them!

One quick tip used by us with out fancy side scan units is to set your sonar only to look at the bottom and loose the water column between,this is done by going into functions and just zooming in the bottom,this way you will see just the bottom in zoom and may catch hard to see low profile structures out of soft materials like wood,,
dive safe,,

And don't confuse degrees, minutes and seconds with degrees and decimal minutes.

Wreck numbers from the Internet are notoriously wrong! Either by intent or conversion error, do not waste your time relying on them. As mentioned, they're usually a mile or more in error. I wouldn't fault differing GPS units for the fault either. Nearly all are very close when it comes to comparing a true GPS fix - close enough to put you on the site. It's the waypoint transcribing or conversion from LORAN that most often accounts for error. Though, I have heard of individuals intentionally posting incorrect numbers and once it's on the Internet...

If you're searching for wrecks as part of an artificial reef project you can usually find accurate coordinates from the sponsoring agency. If you're a recreational operator, sometimes a local dive shop or dive boat operation might provide you common/well documented wreck locations. While this is good to promote the sport, they're not likely to give you coordinates of wrecks or sites they've developed or discovered on their own.

While I don't get as far north as the Md/Del coast, if you find yourself south and off Chincoteague or Whatchapreague, VA contact me and I'll provide accurate GPS numbers for the wrecks I've dived - the numbers I use on my boat.

Safe Diving,
Will

Thanks Will, That is a very kind offer and if I get down that way I might just take you up on that offer. Thanks again.

Are you looking for any in particular? Or just airing it out in regard to the discrepancy?
I have some I would be willing to share out of Ocean City, and out of Indian River. Pay it forward with beer, boat ride, fish, cool numbers you get down the road.
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom