wreck diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure about wrecks, but in caves it is the overhead environment. Any place you can't make a direct ascent to the surface.

ID

Tekdiver would be a good person to ask this.....Yo, Marc! Got an answer for us?

I've heard it expressed two ways. One is just as ID describes. Any overhead environment can be deadly whether in a wreck or 3000' back in a cave. The other reference to "deadly ceiling" or "glass ceiling" is the decompression ceiling or the shallowest point to which you can ascend to meet a decompression obligation.

Most people I have heard who use the "deadly ceiling" phrase are those who aren't properly trained or experienced in overhead environments. Danger is quite relative in this sport.

Mike

While I haven't heard the term "deadly ceiling" used with wreck diving, *any* ceiling could be accurately described as "deadly" under the right circumstances. In wrecks, you can get lost - this can happen within a few feet of an exit if you have a total silt-out, and has claimed several divers over the years. You can get stuck. This too can happen within a few feet of - or even at - the exit. A specific "deadly ceiling" may be referring to the case where your bubbles cause a silt-out behind you as you go, so when you turn around you are greeted with a very unpleasant and potentially fatal surprize.
Bottom line - overhead environments are *not* included in open water training at any level. Open water instructors have died a few feet inside caves because they lacked overhead environment training. If you are contemplating going inside wrecks or caves or doing extended range (anything other than open water less than 130' within "no decompression" limits) then take the course for it.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom