Wreck Diving in the Gulf of Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andibk

Contributor
Reaction score
List
A few weeks ago we run a wreck trip in the Gulf of Thailand. The trip left on Friday night and we returned on Sunday night. The first dive site we went to was a suspected airplane, nobody was for sure because it was not dove before (as far as I know). AS we decended down the line you could tell it definetly was a aircraft, the hook had landed right in the cockpit. The wreck did have quite a few nets on it but you could see the cockpit, engines and such. Visibility was superb on the way down, the nearer you got to the bottom it did start to diminish down to around 10 meters. I was able to bring up a escape hatch which we are investigating at the moment. Two of the divers did some research and believe it to be a P-38 U.S. plane from WW2.
We are going to make further trips to get a definite identification of the plane. A phone call I just received said it is definelty U.S. military. The depth of the plane was at 60 meters.
The second day we dove on a ancient pottery wreck which the depths was at 52 meters.The pottery is believed to be around 400-700 year old pottery. There was a combination of Thai pottery and also Blue and white chinese pottery. I had a meeting with archeology department and they will be able to give me a more definite identification as how old the pottery is.

andibk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom