Wreck Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ajax

Reaction score
Any ship wreck dives off the coast of Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana or Texas worth diving? If so, are web sites avalable.

Many Thanks

Hmmm... lessee now, there's Fred's bus, and an old caddie I know of...
Seriously, the only actual wrecks I know of off Alabama are the Whiskey wreck at Gulf Shores and Farragut's Monitor in Mobile Bay (which, if you attempt to dive, will get you thrown in the slammer). The Whiskey wreck is sometimes a good dive, but you never know until you get to the site. It's in the surge zone in about 20' of water, so is subject to constant covering with sand and uncovering. The last time I dove it there was considerable structure above the sand, so it was very interesting. And folks are still finding the occasional full bottle of bootleg whiskey there.
Oh, yeah, there is what we call the Romar wreck, but I don't have the coordinates and the few fishermen who do ain't tellin'. (I only get to dive that one when taken there by one of the privileged few - no handheld GPS allowed, don'tchaknow)
----------
Artificial reef - there's plenty of that - several liberty ships (at 450' each some pretty impressive hulks), barges etc, and some really impressive sites made from the old Perdido Bay bridge - "Atlantis" and "Little Rome" are two of the largest. There are a few airplanes (Pensacola NAS, the birthplace of Naval Aviation, has been a steady contributor for nearly a century now) and some 300 Army main battle tanks make interesting dives on small sites.
----------
Rigs - plenty of 'em, from shallow to way deeper than recreational depths.

Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom