Wreck Dives off Palawan?? Atago, Maya and Musashi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaseeker

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Can I ask if there are any Japanese fleet wrecks realistically can be dived off Palawan? I understand to west, Atago and Maya are not too far from the island, but way too deep??

Much further away to the east lies the Musashi (gigantic sister ship to Yamato), but I gather no one can get to that, except perhaps J. Ballard!

Any recommendations for wreck non-tech divers like myself, Philipines overall.

There are several wrecks that can be dove off Palawan from Coron Town. I recently returned from them. Nitrox is best to get the most bottom time. The wrecks are deep and penetrable. The boat rides to the wrecks from Coron Town are approx. 1.5 to 2 hours each way.

One must simply love diving wrecks to fully enjoy these dives. The vis was poor. The wrecks were stripped a long time ago. They are mostly big hulks that are fairly easy to swim in and out of. Don't forget they have been down there over 60 years?

Since I always dive with a camera and don't enjoy diving without taking photos, the wrecks were not all that interesting to me. Photography was near impossible due to low vis and particulate matter in the water (June).

Sea Dive Resort in Coron Town is convenient and likely the best game in town.

Back
Top Bottom