Wreck at Taylor Bay questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buccaneer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
Those of you familiar with the south sound or the book NW Boat dives, know the wreck site I am talking about. I just did my first dive there, and it is an awesome dive site. For those not familiar, it is a 100ft long wood ship mostly only hull and sides now, resting on it's keel w/ tons of life around. I did a little searching and have heard a couple of different things about the ship. Two reports say it is an old Y-2 class sub chaser, but one says it is 100ft long and sunk in 1959. The other source puts it at 175ft and sunk in 1957. I have also heard it was a mine sweeper, but I kinda doubt it, because from past research I know these were usually all wood so as not to interfere w/ magnetic searching equipment. Though this ship is a wood hull, there still seems to be quite alot of steel present. SO if anyone has more info, I would appreciate it, especially if they have a ship name, and if it was intentionally sunk or not would be appreciated.
Now part2: I also ran across asingle report that rumored there was an old ferry wreck located further in the bay. Has anyone heard or done a dive on this wreck? Might be worth trolling about w/ the sounder to find it.

Buccaneer:
Two reports say it is an old Y-2 class sub chaser, but one says it is 100ft long and sunk in 1959. The other source puts it at 175ft and sunk in 1957. I have also heard it was a mine sweeper, but I kinda doubt it, because from past research I know these were usually all wood so as not to interfere w/ magnetic searching equipment. Though this ship is a wood hull, there still seems to be quite alot of steel present. SO if anyone has more info, I would appreciate it, especially if they have a ship name, and if it was intentionally sunk or not would be appreciated.

There was a short write-up of this wreck in last month's Northwest Dive news that you might check out. The only information I can add is that I heard that the vessel was burned and then sank, which is consistant with what's left of the structure (i.e. hull only, no superstructure).

I have never heard a name for the vessel.

Well, that's a start.. I'll have to see if my LDS has an old copy lying around.. The "latest News" on there web site is from 2003! So no updates there. Any mention of that possible ferry boat wreck??
boydski:
There was a short write-up of this wreck in last month's Northwest Dive news that you might check out. The only information I can add is that I heard that the vessel was burned and then sank, which is consistant with what's left of the structure (i.e. hull only, no superstructure).

well here is something interesting. if you go to northwestdivenrews.com it takes you to Northwest diver, and not the magazine publication you were referring to. I found the correct site at nwdivenews.com and they do post back issues, though currently the latest issue is from May.
boydski:

Buccaneer:
well here is something interesting. if you go to northwestdivenrews.com it takes you to Northwest diver, and not the magazine publication you were referring to. I found the correct site at nwdivenews.com and they do post back issues, though currently the latest issue is from May.

Rick has always been a little slow to update his website. It's typically quite out of date. You're looking for the August issue, page 24. Ask around at your local dive shops, I'll bet they have a copy running around somewhere.

Roland C. Anderson (I think from the Seattle Aquarium) refers to the wreck as a 180 foot surplus mine sweeper that was burned on the beach for scrap metal.

It sure looks like a barge to me. It has no angled bow or stern to speak of. I was told before I dove it that it was a gravel barge and to be honest thats what it look like to me. Have you dove Toliva Shoals yet?

Searun

SeaRun:
It sure looks like a barge to me. It has no angled bow or stern to speak of. I was told before I dove it that it was a gravel barge and to be honest thats what it look like to me. Have you dove Toliva Shoals yet?

Searun

Actually, if you get down under the stern, you can still see the shaft log (where the tail shaft used to run) and what's left of the rudder post. It's definitely angled as well.

Perhaps you're thinking of the Maury Barges, or another gravel barge?

Boydski,

I guess I'm gonna have to go back to "refresh" my memory! Such a dilemna. Have you dove Toliva Shoals?

Searun

Haven't done Toliva Shoals. This wreck is definitely NOT a barge. It is clearly a ship, and it doesn't have enough beam (width) to be a barge, and clearly has an angled bow and stern. Are you looking for info on Toliva Shoals, or promoting it? Am always looking for new fun dives.

SeaRun:
Boydski,

I guess I'm gonna have to go back to "refresh" my memory! Such a dilemna. Have you dove Toliva Shoals?

Searun

Looking for info... I have wanted to visit Toliva Shoals for quite some time. I know it is a WDFW reef and I believe its on the NW corner of the Shoals but thats all I know. I stand corrected on the Taylor Bay Wreck. I guess I will have to pay better attention next time I am there.

Searun

Back
Top Bottom