Wreck accessible from shore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings everyone,

I understand that Great Lakes is a pretty vast area and there are wrecks scattered in all kinds of depth ranges. Can anyone please enlighten me on some of the wreck dives that are accessible from the shore? Thanks.

CS

George F Wiliams, off the beach at the Hammond, IN marina. Maybe in 20ft of water.

Islander in Alexandria Bay, NY on the St. Lawrence.

Hesper in Silver Bay
Madiera at Split Rock Lighthouse/Gold Point

Both on Lake Superior's north shore in Minnesota

I also heard of some underwater structures in Canadian waters like a loading dock or pump etc that divers frequently dive. Does anyone have an idea what/where those would be?

I also heard of some underwater structures in Canadian waters like a loading dock or pump etc that divers frequently dive. Does anyone have an idea what/where those would be?
St. Lawrence River.

The St. Lawrence River has many shore accessible wrecks and other underwater structures in Ontario. We hit several shore sites in Kingston, Brockville, and Cardinal Ontario on a trip I took with several buddies in 2008. Cris Kohl's Great Lakes Diving Guide covers many of them. You can also find on-line resources with a Google search.

Centeen Park in Brockville was a favorite of mine. You can swim out to the Gaskin or dive closer to shore. We returned a kids bike to him on one dive that he lost riding off of the seawall into the river. We had alot of fun diving that site!

I remember researching Milles Roches dive years ago then it went off my radar only to have resurfaced in this thread. Is there a dive operator there or any local divers whom I could buddy up with for a first time exploration? This looks like a very unique dive.

There are a lot of wrecks diveable from shore. I'm in the Chicago area. The only one here is the George W. Morley off of Evanston. An interesting steamer sank in 1897. But don't make a special trip just for that. There are plenty of other wrecks to see on the local charters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom