WPB Rpt Sep 2 - Labor Day Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Flat Water on a holiday weekend off West Palm Beach. But also plenty of new boaters encroaching our boat with our dive flag up that we had to push away. Underwater was 80 ft of hazy visibility, & 82° on the bottom & no thermos. 1.5 bottom current but Surface current was screaming so hard at 4 - 1/2 knots that I had to hold on to my flag Reel with two hands as I was getting dragged through the water for 40 minutes. Limited out on bugs and a couple lion fish. Ramp picture of the guys in the orange shirts (you can read the writing) that are from PBCJ helping launch the sheriff's boat. The ScubaBoard Goliath's Dive Boat for next Sunday the 11th on the Full Moon spawning is sold out!!. This is going to be alot of fun !! Thank you to Steve & B.J. for inviting me today!

20220902_081000.jpg

The ScubaBoard Goliath's Dive Boat for next Sunday the 11th on the Full Moon spawning is sold out!!. This is going to be alot of fun !!

Looking forward to it!!!

Flat Water on a holiday weekend off West Palm Beach. But also plenty of new boaters encroaching our boat with our dive flag up that we had to push away. Underwater was 80 ft of hazy visibility, & 82° on the bottom & no thermos. 1.5 bottom current but Surface current was screaming so hard at 4 - 1/2 knots that I had to hold on to my flag Reel with two hands as I was getting dragged through the water for 40 minutes. Limited out on bugs and a couple lion fish. Ramp picture of the guys in the orange shirts (you can read the writing) that are from PBCJ helping launch the sheriff's boat. The ScubaBoard Goliath's Dive Boat for next Sunday the 11th on the Full Moon spawning is sold out!!. This is going to be alot of fun !! Thank you to Steve & B.J. for inviting me today!

View attachment 741424
So in addition to blocking off a significant amount of parking at Phil Foster on a holiday weekend, they also need inmates to help launch boats? Really? Good for the inmates I guess, better spending the day outside at BHB than sitting in jail.
09-02-22 BHB Parking Lot.jpeg

The police do this every year on the holiday. displace all they paying tax payers, and then play "water games"
You are right, Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day. By no stretch of the imagination is this a decision that some Lieutenant in the sheriff department makes, i.e. rank and file sheriff's deputies are just following orders. This a multi layered. multi departmental decision, i.e. parks department, sheriffs department, and county commission. It displays a total and utter attitude of contempt and disdain for the people that fund the parks department, sheriffs department, and county commission. The park belongs to the taxpayers of Palm Beach County, not the aforementioned entities. If use of the park is limited when demand for said usage is at its highest, what's the point? It's a disgrace. @Johnoly, sorry for going off topic on your excellent dive report. Interesting that flat calm ocean disguising a ripping 4.5 knot current! Always difficult to catch bugs when you're on somewhat of a Nantucket Sleigh Ride!

The surface current is wild this weekend. Dove Boynton today. Very manageable current at 90’ but rippin at the surface. I pulled the flag under….twice! Floated it with an SMB after the first time thinking there’s no way it’ll go under again with the extra flotation. I was wrong.

The surface current is wild this weekend. Dove Boynton today.
As captain we really got to be on our toes. When the marker/flag is gone we use both sonar and flat spots to then track divers underwater. But with multiple divers, some may hook off taking photo's and only go 3/10's mile, but hunters may end up 1.5 miles on the same dive. I'll follow the fastest and just let the slower ones float fast towards me and can pick them up. If I'm on a charter, I'll stand next to the captain and help "spot" backwards/side2side with my binoculars while he's busy doing a pickup. A bit un-nerving for surfacing diver's and your boat is over a mile away and looks like a tiny dot -Don't fret, we got you !!

The surface current is wild this weekend. Dove Boynton today. Very manageable current at 90’ but rippin at the surface. I pulled the flag under….twice! Floated it with an SMB after the first time thinking there’s no way it’ll go under again with the extra flotation. I was wrong.

Southeast Florida = ‘Box a Chocolates’ diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom